Corrosion holes in fire box

Mike Russell

I purchased a used Genesis 3000 on Craigslist to use for my first rehab project. I knew it needed some serious work but after doing research I thought I was up to it.
When disassembling, I noticed the firebox had some homes where the flavorizer bars sit from rust corrosion.
The question is - do I need to worry about it? Can I fix it with any sort of high heat sealer? Do I need to find a different firebox to use? See the pictures and any help is appreciated!
fFg1YYr.jpg

zLvtI5P.jpg

OK good - my alternative was to grab the $25 Genesis 1000 I saw on my CL and just use the firebox for it but that seemed like such a waste!

You may want to pick up another grill and make one good one out of two. You can still sell the "bad" one.
What about those rods that let you repair cast aluminum with a torch? I re-attached a fin to the flywheel of my weedwhacker many years ago with one of these rods and a propane torch.

So here is where I am right now... Just finished cleaning the box and it cleaned up pretty well. I think I should be OK with it as is.
9LrqDzah.jpg

Back