Corn - Tangy in Their Jackets

LoisSanborn

I know it is way too early in the season to be offering this recipe, but I’ve been perusing these Side Dish recipes and wanted to post it before I forgot about it. It’s a great way to do something different with fresh corn when we’ve gotten a tad tired of corn on the cob.

It was originally offered by Debra Anderson of Atlanta, Georgia in Gourmet Magazine’s August 1994 issue on page 18.

I found it again online here:
https://sherisilver.com/2011/09/12/summers-over-part-three-corn-tangy-in-their-jackets/

By the way, I never bother with the fancy presentation. I followed a commenter’s advice and simply make it on the stove top in a skillet, adding the cheese at the end after all the other ingredients are hot. I’m sure you could do it in a CI skillet on the grill.

Corn - Tangy in Their Jackets

Serves 6

6 ears corn, unhusked
5 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/8 tsp Tabasco
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
10 oz sharp white Cheddar cheese, grated coarse (about 3 cups, divided)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
vegetable oil

Pull a lengthwise strip of corn husk (about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide) from each ear to expose kernels and discard husk strip. Carefully peel back remaining husks, keeping them attached to stem ends, and snap ear from stem end. Discard silk from husks. Tear a thin strip from a tender inner piece of each husk and use it to tie loose end of each husk together, forming a boat. Cut corn kernels from ears and discard cobs.

In a large skillet sauté corn in 4 Tbsp butter over moderately high heat, stirring, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, Tabasco, mayonnaise, lime juice, and 2 3/4 cups cheese, stirring until cheese is melted. Remove skillet from heat and season mixture with salt and pepper.

In a small skillet sauté bread crumbs in remaining 1 1/4 Tbsp butter over moderately high heat, stirring until golden brown, about 2 minutes.

Preheat broiler.

Brush insides of husk boats lightly with oil. Divide corn mixture among husks. Top corn mixture with bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Put filled husks on a baking sheet and broil about 4 inches from heat until cheese is melted and tops are browned lightly, about 2 minutes.

This sounds good. Except for the bread crumbs and cheddar, it sounds like Esquites (sp?) and my gang loves that. I'm sure this would be a hit too.
The "fancy" presentation sounds pretty cool - but I would probably do it the way you do. :D

One question - can you explain this? "a tad tired of corn on the cob"
I have never heard of such a thing! :ROFLMAO:

This sounds good. Except for the bread crumbs and cheddar, it sounds like Esquites (sp?) and my gang loves that. I'm sure this would be a hit too.
The "fancy" presentation sounds pretty cool - but I would probably do it the way you do. :D

One question - can you explain this? "a tad tired of corn on the cob"
I have never heard of such a thing! :ROFLMAO:
I thought about that and resisted adding something like "Impossible, I know!!" I have never heard of Esquites. Just looked it up and it sounds very similar, if not the same thing. Anyway, enjoy!

Back