Cooking Thermometer?

Chris Searle

I'm new to this site, and just got a new grill for the wife and I. I'm looking for a good cooking thermometer that I don't have to replace every two weeks. Any suggestions?

Chris,are you wanting an instant read or a probe? A lot of people on the forum swear by their digital instant read. I couldn't justify the price,so I got an OXO bi-metal that works just fine. As far as probe type,people swear by the Maverick. I've got one that I got as an award through work. It's very irritating,but works fine!

What thermometers have you been using that kept needing replacement?

I have instant read Thermapen that I use for practically everything - $96

I have a Nu-temp wireless that I use for monitoring the bbq and roasts in the oven. Similar to the Maverick.

I used a Taylor Digital Instant Read thermometer before getting the Thermapen. It worked well and the newer waterproof model seems better.

If you bought some $15 thermometers and throw them away every two weeks, instead get a Thermapen and you will be saving money in 13 weeks. And then in 4 more week you will have saved enough money for a Maverick ET-73.
icon_smile.gif

I finally got sick of el-cheapo analog and digital probes and picked up a used Fluke digital thermometer on EBay, along with an instant read probe from thermoworks.com, the folks who make the Thermapen. The cheap ones always seemed to fail at exactly the wrong time (like Christmas day when cooking a prime rib roast!), but I've been blissfully not overcooking meat for several years now with my current setup.

Chris, i have been using one i purchased at Walmart for 10.95 couple year's back, work's very well get ur reading with in 3-5 seconds so far no problems, i figure i have got the 10.95 out of it lol. The thermometer is called acu>rite.

I used a cheapie from Target for 2 years and had good results, until my daughter left it in the meat, on the grill and the head melted. I now use an instant read Weber, $17.95 or so. I think the main point is to use one to monitor the progress instead of guessing.

I use a Thermapen for chops, steaks, wings etc. that cook quickly. Pricey but worth every penny. For larger cuts of meat where slow cooking is the order of the day a remote read digital thermometer/timer is my preference. I bought mine from Weber years ago for under $20, I have seen similar ones available from Amazon. Mine was made by Polder and is similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...ativeASIN=B000P6FLOY

Bill

Back