Conversion from NG to LP and igniter won't light burner

TLitwicki

I recently purchased a new Genesis II grill with four burners. It was on discount at end of the summer. I didn't realize that it was natural gas. I didn't even know that they made NG BBQ grills. I looked into conversion to propane. I purchased a kit and made the changes out the orifices, removed the NG hose and regulator, and installed the new regulator and hose. Now the electronic igniter won't light the grill. I can see that it is sparking, but it doesn't light. I can light it with a lighter and it all seems to work O.K., but I have to light each burner. Does anyone have ideas. I have looked all over the internet and have come up empty. Thanks.

Yeah, this usually doesn't end well. The bottom line is that you are going to need a propane manifold if you want the grill to work correctly.

There is no such thing as a "conversion kit" for ANY Weber grill. Whoever sold it to you ripped you off. As noted you need a new LP manifold, a proper regulator and proper hose/tank connection. Otherwise you're whistling in the dark with what could potentially be dangerous

I recently purchased a new Genesis II grill with four burners. It was on discount at end of the summer. I didn't realize that it was natural gas. I didn't even know that they made NG BBQ grills. I looked into conversion to propane. I purchased a kit and made the changes out the orifices, removed the NG hose and regulator, and installed the new regulator and hose. Now the electronic igniter won't light the grill. I can see that it is sparking, but it doesn't light. I can light it with a lighter and it all seems to work O.K., but I have to light each burner. Does anyone have ideas. I have looked all over the internet and have come up empty. Thanks.
Conversions are difficult.

Read this

Yeah, this usually doesn't end well. The bottom line is that you are going to need a propane manifold if you want the grill to work correctly.
I have been looking around for the manifold online, and all I seem to find is a NG manifold. Any recommended suppliers for these parts? Thanks.

I have been looking around for the manifold online, and all I seem to find is a NG manifold. Any recommended suppliers for these parts? Thanks.
There are a few possibilities. The important thing is to know either the part # of the propane manifold itself or the model # of the propane equivalent of your grill.

There are a few possibilities. The important thing is to know either the part # of the propane manifold itself or the model # of the propane equivalent of your grill.
Thanks. I did get that information and will look. Starting to think it would be better to sell the grill to someone who has natural gas. I appreciate the help

Thanks. I did get that information and will look. Starting to think it would be better to sell the grill to someone who has natural gas. I appreciate the help
Yeah, unless you REALLY know your way around the 2 fuels and how to work with them, it's likely the right track. Other companies have no problem making actual kits certified for their grills. IMO Weber could but they're greedy. Would rather force your hand

@TLitwicki if you have a Genesis II 410 natural gas, this one may be the the LP equivalent.

and the manifold listed for that grill is:
67463 LP manifold assembly, Genesis II 410/415, '19

Here's one vendor that has it.

You already have some sunk cost for the hose and regulator. You can sell the orifices on eBay and make some $$$ back.

Also, hang on to the NG manifold, hose and NG regulator. If you move to a house that has NG you'll be all set to convert it back.

Yeah, unless you REALLY know your way around the 2 fuels and how to work with them, it's likely the right track. Other companies have no problem making actual kits certified for their grills. IMO Weber could but they're greedy. Would rather force your hand
It's really a matter of conversions being a potential safety/liability issue. I believe we (Weber) used to make and sell conversion kits up until around 2007 and they were likely a good source of income.
As the gas train and ignition components on our grills have become more complex (and varied in design) over the years, the margin for installation error has become more substantial. Things were simple when almost every grill just required a new manifold and hose/regulator, and they were interchangeable across a wide range of Weber models. Now it's combination of manifolds, burners, hose/regulators, and ignition systems that could all require replacement, and the components requiring replacement can vary widely based on the model. For a grill owner that's well educated on gas train systems and/or Weber grills, making the conversion might be easy, but casual grill owners generally don't have the level of expertise needed to confidently make a safe conversion. Ideally, we want grillers to purchase the appropriate fuel type for their situation, but I can appreciate that there are many nuances to why someone could need or want to convert a grill.

Depending on how much of a discount is available, you might possibly be able to go back and buy an identical grill, but in propane. You would then have a very delightful supply of spare parts. If you keep the grill long enough, you will be glad you have backups of most everything. Many here have one or more backups for every part of their grill.

If your house is fueled by NG why not just plumb a line out there? Endless supply and solves the issue

It's really a matter of conversions being a potential safety/liability issue. I believe we (Weber) used to make and sell conversion kits up until around 2007 and they were likely a good source of income.
As the gas train and ignition components on our grills have become more complex (and varied in design) over the years, the margin for installation error has become more substantial. Things were simple when almost every grill just required a new manifold and hose/regulator, and they were interchangeable across a wide range of Weber models. Now it's combination of manifolds, burners, hose/regulators, and ignition systems that could all require replacement, and the components requiring replacement can vary widely based on the model. For a grill owner that's well educated on gas train systems and/or Weber grills, making the conversion might be easy, but casual grill owners generally don't have the level of expertise needed to confidently make a safe conversion. Ideally, we want grillers to purchase the appropriate fuel type for their situation, but I can appreciate that there are many nuances to why someone could need or want to convert a grill.
Thanks, John! BTW, you forgot the #Iworkforweber tagline...

Back