Completely worthless test - how many hours on 1 charcoal basket

Rick-SC

TVWBB Member
Given the fuel efficiency of the WSK, I figured I'd try and see how many hours I could smoke at 225-250 with just one charcoal basket full in kamado mode. I don't know why I decided to do this today, but I was bored :)

Unfortunately I accidentally turned off the transmit setting on my Thermoworks Smoke before I left the house for an hour or so, so I don't have any data log.

but short answer is I got 6 hours at around 240 before temps started to drop off and even opening the vents all the way couldn't keep temp up. So unless you're going for a super long cook, two charcoal baskets right next to each other should be enough fuel for almost all cooks. If you want a little more time, you could put some coals between them, I think this is how @Brett-EDH runs his, but there is little need to fill the whole chamber unless you're doing an overnight brisket.

This was my 16# brisket setup which ran 13 hours and I even had a bunch of leftover coals (around 1/3).

I agree with your results. If you’re doing a 10-13 hour LAS, two full CBs should get you there, using briqs, from my experience.

I have not done LAS using JDXL. I only use briqs and wood chunks on LAS and JD on direct to indirect sears and bring to temp.

From videos I’ve seen, you could load up the bottom coal position with briqs and run LAS and get 30 hours. I haven’t done this myself.

On my brisket cook, after 7 hours, I wrapped and increased temps to 300°+ and still had that residual fuel.

1656970399312.jpeg

1656970420845.jpeg

nice methodical setup! For some reason I'm always reluctant to add wood until I put the meat on because I feel like I'm "wasting" smoke wood. but I should probably just bury the wood like you do because that way you can get a bit more strategic about wood placement.

BTW, I forgot to mention, my test was using B&B briq's I didn't pack them in either, so using smaller briquettes could probably get some more time. Thanks for suggesting this setup before @Brett-EDH. it's SO Much nicer to have something that holds the coals so when you're done you don't need to fish out individual leftovers. just dump the baskets into my SnS for my next cook.

Much nicer to have something that holds the coals so when you're done you don't need to fish out individual leftovers. just dump the baskets into my SnS for my next cook.
EXACTLY!!!!! Simple and easy cleanup and prep for next cook.

Back