Cold smoking on a hot day.

Cold smoke went about 45 mins. I'll keep the tri tip on the BGE and cook veggies on the WSK.

So, let's light some coal. I got a new toy and I like it. It is a jj george weed torch.

Works great for starting a small amount of coal. I'll write a short review after I've used it a few times. So far it's great.

20220717_173445.jpg

Pecan is running low. Let's add a handful. It doesn't take much.

20220717_173658.jpg

20220717_173707.jpg

The 1000 gets to lend a hand.

20220717_173613.jpg

Probes in. Alarms set. Time to refill my drink and get back in the pool.

20220717_173956.jpg

Those vortex’s kick butt don’t they?
My wife loves it when I cook on mine.

Hey BTW,
Where can I but that smoke generator?
There is a guy near me in WA on YouTube that shows how to make a smoker from a glass retail cooler.
Beautiful plans but his home made smoke generator is scary as all get out.

Those vortex’s kick butt don’t they?
My wife loves it when I cook on mine.

I like the vortex. I've also used two char baskets next to each other. Each has pros and cons.

I think the vortex can get hotter than a pair of CBs, yet I've not tested them back to back or side by side.

The vortex is too tall to fit on the raised coal grate so it is limited to be on the lower grate.

Two CBs will work on both the lower coal grate, or the raised coal grate and on the raised setting they get things screaming hot and closer to the food.

Hey BTW,
Where can I but that smoke generator?
There is a guy near me in WA on YouTube that shows how to make a smoker from a glass retail cooler.
Beautiful plans but his home made smoke generator is scary as all get out.

It is a Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G.

It was a birthday gift from my kids last year. I think they bought it on amazon. There are different sizes, this is their biggest. I've only worked out a mount on my BGE. I need to set it up for my WSK too.

I shared a post last year and I need to update that post with what I've learned. It can produce a massive amount of smoke - enough for a refrigerator sized smoker which was way too much for the large BGE. It took some trial and error and practice to dial it back for a smaller volume like the BGE.

"Not sure how I will cook this. It's hot..."
If only there were some way to cook inside, where the A/C is...🤔 :LOL:

That all looks fantastic, I especially like the corn.
We just need someone to invent a floating grill, like they did for the ice chest, so you can cook without leaving the pool.

We just need someone to invent a floating grill, like they did for the ice chest, so you can cook without leaving the pool.

Maybe weber needs some brand name ideas:

Weber Summit Floating Kamado

Weber Performer Pool Edition

Weber Smokey Mountain Seafarer

Weber Genesis - Red Sea edition

It was around 90 the other day when I did a cold smoke for an hour and a half. As in the past, I used a tube 1/3 filled with pellets and placed it below the grill grates on the left edge. I smoked chicken and, as a test, a small chuck roast. I've never done chuck before and was worried that it would come out tough. But after some Internet reading, I figured that dry brining it while it cold-smoked plus slow cooking it would soften it up enough to be enjoyable. And indeed it was!

Here's how it started, with 4 burners on low throughout the cook, until I seared the roast:

20220722_131819.jpg

Here's how the chicken came out:

20220722_134718.jpg

After the chuck's interior reached around 128, I put all 5 burners on max and seared the roast on 4 sides. I don't care about the marks. I care about the finish to the meat on the outside.

20220722_140455.jpg

Regrettably, this is the only picture I have of the remaining cold left overs last night:

20220724_203400.jpg

Both the chicken and the chuck had a wonderful smoke flavor from the cold smoke. Everyone loved it. However, the smokiness of the chuck was much richer and intense. Is that because beef absorbs smoke better than poultry, or because the chuck was on the upper warming rack and absorbed more smoke there, or both?

Yeah I couldn’t do that heat. Beautiful 69 degrees here, gotta find a retirement spot with similar weather. I’m

It was around 90 the other day when I did a cold smoke for an hour and a half. As in the past, I used a tube 1/3 filled with pellets and placed it below the grill grates on the left edge. I smoked chicken and, as a test, a small chuck roast. I've never done chuck before and was worried that it would come out tough. But after some Internet reading, I figured that dry brining it while it cold-smoked plus slow cooking it would soften it up enough to be enjoyable. And indeed it was!

Here's how it started, with 4 burners on low throughout the cook, until I seared the roast:

View attachment 55971

Here's how the chicken came out:

View attachment 55972

After the chuck's interior reached around 128, I put all 5 burners on max and seared the roast on 4 sides. I don't care about the marks. I care about the finish to the meat on the outside.

View attachment 55973

Regrettably, this is the only picture I have of the remaining cold left overs last night:

View attachment 55974

Both the chicken and the chuck had a wonderful smoke flavor from the cold smoke. Everyone loved it. However, the smokiness of the chuck was much richer and intense. Is that because beef absorbs smoke better than poultry, or because the chuck was on the upper warming rack and absorbed more smoke there, or both?
That is a FULL grill!
It all looks delicious!

Interesting about the roast - I always heard that chicken
takes on smoke faster than other meats. You should probably do this cook again, and get to the bottom of this mystery for us. :D

Back