Cold Smoker doubles as WSM Winter Enclosure

Yeah, I know... I should have cut a little half moon in the door...
icon_smile.gif

outhouse%20001.jpg

outhouse%20003.jpg

Yeah, this was built from scratch... found some plans on the 'net:

cold smoker plans

I was initially going to fire it up using a hot plate and cast iron skillet, but after some further thought I'm going to build an external firepit and pipe the smoke in that way. I'll have to raise the smoker box up some, but I think in the end it'll be a much better setup.

it looks great, I'd love to make one, though I'm certain it wouldn't 'stand up' to the wind gusts I get here at times ... did you or are you going to anchor the base somehow?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
it looks great, I'd love to make one, though I'm certain it wouldn't 'stand up' to the wind gusts I get here at times ... did you or are you going to anchor the base somehow? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I've got a couple of ideas. I'm probably going to lay a couple of courses of concrete blocks in a square and fill the spaces in the blocks with some quick-crete. I'll put some straps in the quick-crete and use that to anchor the building.

Thanks Steve...

Life IS good on the Plateau
icon_smile.gif

It's not my handiwork however. We have a Mennonite community here in Sparta. I took them the plans and they brought this out to me today. There's not a nail anywhere in it. Everything is screwed together. And it's STOUT!

My WSM sits on my patio along with my grills and the CookShack. The Q'bana is for more serious stuff.
icon_smile.gif

That cold smoker will soon be smokin' up some sausage, fish, and cheese... mmmm...

Damn Tom, I'm envious. I was crazy dreaming a while back, and I was thinking how cool it would be to have a q'shack myself, complete with a corrugated metal roof, some interior room for prepping meat and a nice porch with room for a wsm and a rocking chair...life sure would be good. Never thought exploring the amish/mennonite angle, it might be possible some day.

be sure to post some cold smoking activities. I want to see a pic of that outhouse loaded with 50# of sausage.

That looks really nice Tom.

What kind of setup do you use to produce smoke in that cold smoker?
What kind of grates are you using to hold the food?
Is there a vent or damper at the top, or isn't it needed?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
Yeah, this was built from scratch... found some plans on the 'net:

cold smoker plans

I was initially going to fire it up using a hot plate and cast iron skillet, but after some further thought I'm going to build an external firepit and pipe the smoke in that way. I'll have to raise the smoker box up some, but I think in the end it'll be a much better setup.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yesssssssssssss....already got one of those built, all I gotta do now is take the little round seat out of it and fill in the hole.

Back