Clay saucer and thermal shock.

Roger M

TVWBB Member
Just found a clay saucer for my 22. Was tough to find as alot of garden places arent open here yet. Anyway has anyone ever had one crack from thermal shock? Gonna try it for the first time tommorow, its gonna be below freezing here. I may keep the saucer inside tonight so its warm when it goes in tommorow.

I've never had one crack and I did a lot of cooking this winter with it. I do think it will help the wsm come up to temp faster if you keep the saucer inside overnight.

Also might depend on fire method. Doubt you could hurt the saucer with a Minion start. Throw it on over 2 lit chimneys and it might get pretty hot real fast.

thermal shock usually describes going from a high temperature to a low one rapidly. like heating the saucer then filling it with cold water. that would probably shatter it into a lot of little shards.

it is much harder to shatter something by heating since molecules tend to spread out when heated its the contraction when cooling that is typically dangerous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">thermal shock usually describes going from a high temperature to a low one rapidly. like heating the saucer then filling it with cold water. that would probably shatter it into a lot of little shards.

it is much harder to shatter something by heating since molecules tend to spread out when heated its the contraction when cooling that is typically dangerous. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love it, makes a ton of sense. thanks Jon!

never had a problem with my clay saucer breaking either.

Not sure I agree with Jon, and this is probably too late for Roger, but at any rate:

With masonry, clay, and etc. it is trapped water in the material expanding into steam that often causes cracking and breakage upon heating.

If I had a saucer that I thought might crack on me, I'd heat it slowly taking care to keep it below 200* for long enough to dry thoroughly.
Then I'd make sure it didn't get wet.

FWIW, I've never had a ceramic briquette crack on me and even if one did, it wouldn't affect anything.

I'm new to the WSM, but I now own the new 18.5" model. It comes with a LARGE water pan. I filled the pan with clean sand, and placed a tin foil wrapped clay saucer on top of the sand. The edge of the saucer is about 1/4" below the top of the water pan.

I have been holding constant temps, without ANY messing around, and no water mess to clean up.

Works for me!

I had one crack on me, but can't be sure if it was from thermal shock or bouncing around in the trailer. I just used JB-Weld to put it back together.

100_2245.jpg

I've since abandoned the claypot base in favor of the Lava rock/Pizza stone mod.

100_2242.jpg

100_2243.jpg

A sheet of foil over the pan/stone for a drip tray makes clean up a snap.

Back