CL find - green SS performer cleaning tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason in California

Closed Account
I just picked up a SS performer for $30. i probably could have bargained for $20 but it was listed at $50. only thing missing was one of the smaller wheels. he even gave me the instruction book. Guy who sold it was a real estate agent selling the house and items left behind.

anyways...it is in decent enough shape just got a lot of dirt and leaves and spider webs on it. do you guys recommend just to hose it down? any cleaning tips are appreciated and i'll post up some before and after pics when i clean it up.

thanks!

Yep - just dust it off with a little hand broom, clean out the charcoal bowl, then get some Greased Lightning and a box of heavy paper towels and go to town, then give her a good rinse down. Some extra fine steel wool will take care of any stubborn spots on the outside without ruining the finish. I always do a super hot burn out on any new (used) grill I get to make sure I've burned out any of the nasties.

The little caster wheels are available on ebay. I added them to my 1992 Performer that just had the two larger wheels. Makes it a lot easier to move around the patio.

Congratulations on the great buy- post some pics if you can. We all love to see new additions to the Grill Garden!

Pat

Nice Score Jason! Post up some pics. I use 409 and 0000 steel wool. It works great and always gets the gunk off. If the inside is nasty I use some EZ-off oven cleaner, clean it and do a high heat burn for a couple hours. After that it should be good to go.

Congrats!

easy off, greased lightning, krud cutter. either of those will work great

i use newspaper, it absorbs grease nicely and is cheaper than paper towels.

I don't actually subscribe though, so i use the free (ad filled) ones that are always hanging from my mailbox
icon_smile.gif

thanks for the tips guys...got a bottle of greased lighting and paper towels (didn't see the newspaper advice in time) and some 0000 steel wool. cleaned up real nice, here's some pics for you guys!

DSC00261a.jpg

The lid and bowl look almost brand new! no dings or dents or paint chips.

DSC00262a.jpg

the coal bin is missing because i took it out to hose it down.

DSC00264a.jpg

All i need to do is order some caster wheels and start cookin!

DSC00263a.jpg

That cleaned up real nice Jason and in better shape than my $30 green SS find. Did you get the bottom rack that fits on the lower section? I'm not sure if Weber customer service still has or not. If you didn't get, be sure to give them a call. They are great to work with most of the time.

Steve

oh yea, i took the bottom rack out as well to give a hose down with the coal bin.

i was going to take before shots, but i forgot to take them since i cleaned it at night in the garage. it was pretty covered in filth but underneath was nice and dandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back