Christ the King chicken cook 700 1/2 chickens.

3 pits and a reefer....who got to smoke the reefer??
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif

Great job on the chicken Antonio! I love the pictures as well. By the way, what kind of rub was used? Was that carnival at St. Josephs? I have family in Bakersfield. Thanks!

Great Job!!! A lot of people just cook large quantities without puttting in all the love.... It looks like EVERY one of those chickens was cooked nicely... That makes all the difference. That's why you didn't have any left. I bet folks will talk about those birds till next time.

Great job, Antonio! I've seen that style of cooker before, but not as large as those. They look like they can really crank out a lot of food.

I'm with you, Gary H. Last month, I cooked for 38 one Saturday, then for 53 the following Friday and thought I had done something. Well, I did, but not nearly on the same scale as what Antonio did.

Wow. Now THAT'S a lot of bird on the grill.

Looks like a successful cook. That would have been fun to be involved with. Good job !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Great job on the chicken Antonio! I love the pictures as well. By the way, what kind of rub was used? Was that carnival at St. Josephs? I have family in Bakersfield. Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told last year from the owner of Cope's Market that he uses a combo of B & K Gourmet and a little bit of Pappy's Prime Rib Rub.

Last year the carnival committee chose to give this same vendor and his 'rub' a repeat, since we received alot of compliments. He gave the committee an extremely good price on the chicken considering he 'cut' and 'seasoned' the chicken. Having the reefer trailer to keep everything cold (chicken AND beer) was a great benefit. I didn't take a picture of the Warming Oven that we rolled over from the hall's kitchen, SWEET!! We were able to cook 'ahead' and place the chicken in the warming ovens >>>> moist, juicy, tender, pull apart with your fingers good!! Alot of work but the weather was cooler than normal and that made alot of difference.

THis was at Christ the King Catholic Church in Oildale, north of the Kern River.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Regina Simone:
Wow, what a blast! Looks like it was a lot of fun for a great cause.Chicken looks great also! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Regina!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark B:
Wow. Now THAT'S a lot of bird on the grill.

Looks like a successful cook. That would have been fun to be involved with. Good job ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark, your more than welcome to visit us down here in California and I've got an apron and pair of gloves waiting on ya!! Hope you like to have a good time, shoot the bull, drink a little beer and get your grill on!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim H.:
Great job, Antonio! I've seen that style of cooker before, but not as large as those. They look like they can really crank out a lot of food.

I'm with you, Gary H. Last month, I cooked for 38 one Saturday, then for 53 the following Friday and thought I had done something. Well, I did, but not nearly on the same scale as what Antonio did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jim I'm sure your guests were very satisfied, here's something to look at Santa Maria grill, perfect for the backyard. I love me some Weber kettle's but they are size limited and pretty much impossible to cook with 'just' wood. They are a great style of grill and would compliment anybody's backyard. The traditional wood to use is Red Oak from the Central Coast of California. Such a distinct aroma when it burns, apart from White Oak. I know alot of people in other parts of the U.S. have been turned on to Tri-Tip and have found a lot of creative ways to cook this roast like smoking them, but to have tri-tip or chicken cooked over some Red Oak IMO is special.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
Oh man...That looks great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yo Wolgast!!! Keepin' it real in SWEDEN!!!! Thanks from across the water
icon_smile.gif

Back