Char Siu Pork

Jon K

TVWBB Super Fan
I have to admit that I found this recipe on another website but I wanted to share this with all of you because it is outstanding

My pleasure to share the recipe. It's great served w/steamed broccoli or cauliflower along with some rice.

Ingredients:
6+ pounds Pork (shoulder or country style ribs)
1 jar Char Siu Sauce
1 jar Hoisin Sauce
Honey
Brown Sugar

Put strips of pork along with Sauces into zip look bags. Marinate for 6+ hours or longer.
Place them on the grill, indirect and drizzle honey and brown sugar on every 20 minutes

I love char siu. It freezes well, so I like to make a few lbs and keep some for future use. The char siu marinade is an easy one to make. Here's my recipe (forget the fermented red tofu if unavailable. Sub with a dash of sherry.)

1 whole pork butt, about 3 lbs

Marinade:
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp brown bean sauce, optional
2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
2 pieces of red fermented tofu
1.5 tsp 5-spice powder

Basting liquid:
1/8 cup malt sugar or honey
½ cup hot water

Mash up all marinade ingredients together.
Cut the pork butt into ¾ inch slices. Combine with marinade, cover and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
Grill the pork over medium/medium-low hot coals. Turn frequently, basting each time. Be careful not to burn; cook until well done. Let cool to handle, and slice thinly across the grain to serve.
Char siu freezes very well. Bag in batches of ½ lb each and freeze. Slice char siu and stir fry with vegetables with a little salt, white pepper, and oyster sauce or hoisin to season.

Back