Char Siu - Asian style roast pork

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
This original cook with discussion can be found here: https://tvwbb.com/threads/char-siu-asian-roast-pork.88223/

And an additional and different style cook of this recipe here: https://tvwbb.com/threads/how’s-my-butt-look.88779/

Ingredients:

4 lbs pork butt cut into large chunks - 4# yields around 5-7 chunks
3 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs dark soy sauce
1/2 tbs blk pepper
1/2 tbs salt - omit if you don’t want more salt in this recipe due to the soy sauces
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 tbs sherry
1/2 tbs ginger powder
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbs 5 spice powder
Drops red food color - optional - add only if you must have red pork like in a Chinese restaurant
1/4 cup oil

Glaze
1/2 cup honey thinned with hot water so it flows easily to baste during the last 15 mins of cook on indirect heat.

Directions:
1. trim excess fat off the pork shoulder and cut into large, long chunks with the meat grain (you'll slice the done meat across the grain for added tenderness).
2. either jaccard each chunk or use a fork and create around 1,000 small holes which will aid in marinade penetration.
3. place the pork in a container of zip-type bag
4. combine all the ingredients above EXCEPT the honey and mix well.
5. pour the marinade over the pork and massage the marinade into the meat to ensure even distribution and coverage.
6. place in fridge for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours to marinate the meat.
7. light your grill and prepare your grill for either indirect cooking, or if using a Weber Kamado, using the deflector plate.
8. stabilize cook temp to 300F
9. place the pork chunks on the grill and set timer for 15 minutes.
10. rotate and move the pork every 15 minutes to ensure even temps and browning of the pork
11. when pork reaches probe temp of 120F, start basting the pork to build the outer candy layer/sweet layer - apply glaze around 5 times to ensure a nice build up of flavor
12. when pork reaches 145F, technically it is done. you can continue to cook this up to 155F but going over that temp will result in a drier and less juicy pork. (total cook time will be 60-90 mins depending on your pork chunk sizes/density and consistent heat if using coal/lump; gassers won't have a temp issue, usually)
13. remove from heat to plate and let rest 10 minutes. then slice across the grain to desired thickness.

Notes:
instead of red food coloring, you can substitute paprika, around 2 tablespoons which will add color to the pork.
you can combine some of the leftover marinade into a saucepan, add water and bring to a gentle boil to cook off any pork juices and then add honey this marinade and use as your glaze for added flavor.
if you are cooking indirect (no diffuser), you can sear the pork over direct heat to build some char after you've glazed the meat. be cautious and attentive as the glaze will burn quickly, so this is not the time for a smoke or beer break. keep the pork moving and rotating so you don't burn the glaze.

post any pictures of your cook and tag me, please. and feel free to ask any questions you might have. i'm glad to help.

Brett, obviously we did wait. DH cooked this last night and we both enjoyed it very much. Thank you again Brett for posting the recipe.
For sometime now, DH's new phone would not let him send pictures. Last night he was messing with his phone and this morning in my mail, I found a couple of pictures. Here is one of the Char Siu he cooked for us some days ago. lol

1652968847466.png

Bumping up, all that Pork butt on sale, now would be a good time for those who haven't tried this, to do so!!!

Back