Catering question

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
Doing pulled pork and either chicken breast or pulled chicken.

What would be more economical

Whole chicken produces 2 lbs of meat. (Dark n white). Easy to cook. $5 a bird

Breast is what it is. 2 lbs of breast (white) $3.85 total. Run risk of drying out. Quicker?

Now do you shred breast or just serve as whole breast?

Please converse.

Probably could use more information, such as number of people, timing, available grills, how you are serving the food, etc... to give you a helpful response, but I'll take a crack at the question.

From the standpoint of ease and cost, it looks like chicken breast would be your best bet. Typically, when I cook for a large gathering or a work function, pork is usually the main attraction and then I offer 1/2 chicken breasts as an alternative for those that don't eat pork. I have also offered a mix of breasts and leg quarters. Shredded sounds good and can be done using breasts with no problem. It really depends on what you are wanting to offer as main course and alternates.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.

Which is more economical is not as important as which will people rather eat. I think pulled pork is the winner there.

This is a question for the client. If they express no preference then its up to your discretion. I find it hard to believe that chicken breast is cheaper by weight yield than whole bird or leg quarters only. Buying in bulk (40 lb case) in Denver, leq quarters can be had for .67lb.

If you thoroughly cook leg quarters they shred off the bone pretty easily.

Back