Cast iron user who starts charcoal? It doesn't get easier than this.

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I know I've posted it before, but after you season you cast iron pans, save your greased paper towels in a gallon ziplock bag. I've been doing this for a couple of months & it's so easy when I want to fire up a chimney of charcoal... I take two paper towels out of the bag & put them in the bottom of chimney - it works perfectly every time. I only wish I hadn't thrown out any of my paper towels when I thought I had too many, I keep hoping I won't run out!

Clint,

I often use my CI on the kitchen stove as well as the grill. Fry eggs, brown bread for sammies, sautee veggies, bake fruit cobbler, etc so always have plenty of oily paper towels. Put them in plastic grocery sacks and keep them outside by the grill and smoker. One less thing going in the landfill! I only use about two full sheets in the chimney, tear them in half and use half in the outer slots and half in the middle slots. Will light a full chimney easily.

do you keep the cast iron you use in the kitchen separate from the cast iron you use outside? I haven't used my CI outside yet, was wondering if it required more cleaning or if it got extra dirty....maybe just wipe the outside too I guess

----I just recently got a bunch of CI stuff, used to have a dutch oven but misplaced it several years ago----

do you keep the cast iron you use in the kitchen separate from the cast iron you use outside? I haven't used my CI outside yet, was wondering if it required more cleaning or if it got extra dirty....maybe just wipe the outside too I guess

----I just recently got a bunch of CI stuff, used to have a dutch oven but misplaced it several years ago----

Clint,

I've got a bunch of cast iron skillets, all old, and one newer dutch oven and wouldn't be afraid to use any of them on the grill. Sure, you'll get a little coating of smoke on the outside but as Matt said it will wipe off when your cleaning and re-seasoning. IMHO cast iron is one of the most versatile pieces of cookware there is.

I use some of the same stuff inside and on the grill. That's one thing so good about cast iron.

Back