Can't seem to get it hot enough, what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherry N

I'm brand new to grilling. I grilled my second meal just now and had the same problem I did with the first. I can't seem to get the grill hot enough. The first time, I used the char baskets and today I tried to use the two zone fire. I started with a chimney full of lump charcoal, but by the time it ashed over it was reduced to a little over half the chimney. (normal?) I put the coals in and started cooking chicken thighs and onions. The temperature dropped to below 300, so I added more lump. Everything cooked through, (though with extra time) the temperature read about 300-350 for most of the grilling, but I can't seem to get the crispy bits or grill marks. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure more coal makes it hotter, but isn't a chimney full of coal about what I'm supposed to use?

Are all your vents open (top and bottom)? I had a friend that had the same problem and that was his issue. He was new to charcoal and thought that, like a gas grill, you put the lid down (vents closed) to get the heat up. With charcoal it's almost the exact opposite. More air = higher heat.

I don't use lump so I can't answer about that for you.

A fully packed Weber sized chimney gets me 600*
Are there a lot of small pieces or are you letting it burn too long in the chimney?

Hmmm...not sure. 15 minutes? The color of my chimney has changed. It turned a lighter shade of gray in the middle. Bad sign?

Okay, not lighter, darker. The middle of my chimney is a darker gray now with a thin edging of lighter gray before it returns to the original color on the top and bottom. Is this normal or am I somehow burning it too hot in the chimney?

Quote: I started with a chimney full of lump charcoal, but by the time it ashed over it was reduced to a little over half the chimney. (normal?)

You may have let it go way too long in the chimney. When I get flames out of the top I pour it on.

Lump will go really quick if not resticted on air.

Usually 8-10 min and it's ready for me.

Hello, based on my reading of your post you are grilling, I assume on a weber kettle or similar. I have used lump on my kettle for so long I can't remember. At any rate I never let the coal ash over, I light a full chimney, it starts to flame, ie flames coming out the top of the coals, I dump the coal on the coal grate, sometimes on top of cold coals, but not always. Leave all vents open on the bottom and keep the cover off. The cooking grate should get really hot. If I am doing steak and want a hotter cooking grate I put 3 bricks under my coal grate and get the burning coals really close to the cooking grate. Don't do that for chicken cause it will burn fast. I usually don't measure the temp at the grate cause the top is off anyway. IMHO if you let your lump ash over in the chimney you are burning coal for no good reason, might as well let it ash over under your cooking grate and do some good.

Mark

Hmmm...okay so it sounds like I'm letting it burn too long in the chimney. I'll give it another shot with some hamburgers and see what happens.

Thanks!

YOu could also try Stubb's all natural briquettes found at lowe's. Briquettes seem to last longer and will not disipate as much during startup. Once you get the hang of using briquettes, then the lump will be easier to tackle since you will have learned more about airflow and other tips as you move along your bbq voyage.

No Mam, that means you are doing it right! With Lump or Briqs, when the flames start shooting out of the top and the smoke quits, pour em on and start cooking!

Here is a pic of mine, it's dark so it's hard to compare to daytime!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's normal.

Don't let the coals ash over. When flames are coming out the top, dump, dividing as needed (if you are using baskets or splitting them up. Add a few unlit to the top of the pile(s), put on your grate, then let the grate heat well before putting the food on. (Note that the portion of the grate over the coals gets the hottest, of course, so feel free to rotate the grate, moving the hotter spot off the coals and putting the food on to it then. That should give you grill marks without the need to start cook directly over the coals, should you wish not to (I cook indirect most of the time).

Thank you! I did my third cook ever today, dumping the coals out of the chimney when the flames start out of the top. MUCH hotter. MUCH better. I made top sirloin, potatoes, and asparagus and they were great! Juicy meat with lovely char! Yay!

Yay! Brava!
fireworks.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back