Can't keep my Smokey Joe lit

Connor T

Hello everyone. I bought a Smokey Joe Original (European model which I believe is the same as the SJG but without the carry handle) late last year and have used it a few times but have never managed to keep the damn thing lit for more than a half hour or so. At first I was just filling up with charcoal all along the bottom grate and leaving all the vents open. When that didn't work, I started googling and found this forum. Next time I closed one vent and piled the coals up against it, leaving the other vent open and placed the top vent over the coals. Not much improvement. Then I used the tinfoil trick I saw in a thread here. I folded over some foil and placed it in front of the open vent directing the air from the open vent under the drip tray (an old loaf tin) and towards the lit coals. Lid vent still over the lit coals. Fire still went out.
I have been using Weber briquettes, but bought some Supagrill lump charcoal the other day after getting frustrated at being unable to keep my barbecue lit. This seems to be the full selection of charcoal available in my area apart from the instant light stuff. Been using a full measure (the charcoal measure that came with the Smokey Joe), of charcoal and lighting it in a Weber chimney, but just bought the mini chimney the other day as the big one doesn't seem to work so well with less than a half full chimney of fuel.
Should I put the coals on both sides, perpendicular to the two open, bottom vents? Should I use lump?
My back yard is fenced in, and whenever we get decent weather to get the barbecue going there tends to no breeze so I think airflow must be the issue but I should be able to use the Smokey Joe on a calm day, shouldn't I?
This is my first, and currently my only barbecue and I want to learn to use it before I go investing in something else. I know good results are possible, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
What am I doing wrong?

Connor
I have the Jumbo Joe - and use an old foil tray with the bottom cut out to hold the coals (weber briquettes) in place on the bottom grate. This lets me position the heat for direct and indirect cooking. I tried using one of the coal holders from my One Touch - but they're too deep. Haven;t ever had a problem with the Weber charcoal staying alight - they normally burn for close to 4 hours left alone!
Good luck - and welcome to the world of weber grilling
Chris

I thought damp charcoal might have been a problem this time as it has been stored in a wheelie bin outside over the winter. It definitely didn't get wet from rain and seems perfectly dry but may have absorbed some moisture from the air during the colder months. Pretty sure I can rule out damp fuel as being a problem on every other occasion though. I have bought a fresh bag of lump and a fresh bag of Weber briquettes. Which would be best for the Smokey Joe?
Chris; I have been using the loaf tin to hold some beer in, and also to hold the charcoal in place against the closed vent. It's an awful waste of geed beer if I cant finish cooking anything on it! Good to hear that someone else in the UK can make it work with the Weber briquettes. Means it should be easy for me to sort out!
Which charcoal setup is best for the Smokey Joe? I have seen the post with a picture of 3 different configurations. Is any one of them better or do they all work just as well? Is one better for higher temps and one for lower temps?

I must admit I too got the 'small' starter to use with Jumbo Joe - but it doesnt really hold enough charcoal for a good grilling - so usually end up using the full size one! You may be OK with the smaller smokey joe. I try to place the coals to one side of the grill which gives me both direct and indirect cooking areas - however the JJ only has a single vent at the base (like the One Touch).

I keep my charcoals in the Performer bin (and under a Weber cover) - so stored outside like you - should be fine, sometimes takes a little longer to light.

I always use at least a full (standard size) Weber chimney load of briquettes in the SJG no matter what size cook I'm doing.

I always use at least a full (standard size) Weber chimney load of briquettes in the SJG no matter what size cook I'm doing.

How do you arrange the coals?
I ask because from all the posts I can find on the forum, it seems that this is the key to getting good results from the SJG.

How do you arrange the coals?
I ask because from all the posts I can find on the forum, it seems that this is the key to getting good results from the SJG.
With that little kettle fully loaded with briquettes you have no room to arrange the coals except to keep the vents clear of coals. Of course, with this arrangement your entire grill area becomes your hot zone.

i think you are not using enough coals. you need at least two layers of coals. on mine i just load it up. as to using lump, you need to pack it in, layers and layers. lump will not burn if spread in a thin layer. i just spread the coals evenly out. no real tricks. this is one of the issues with the gold. one suggestion is to put a a wheel or teo on the sides just under the coal grate. such as how this person did.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?40715-My-Mini-Build-M-I-Z-B-B-Q!

Just curious, I plan to get a SJG along with an electric charcoal starter. I just wanted to know on average, now many pieces of lump charcoal fit a kettle ? The reason I ask wanted to know how many pieces of lump I would need to start a fire...

no way to tell you. lump comes in so many sizes its just not a counting thing. you need to just start out at some level and go from there. it is a learning process but you will soon find out what works for you. i would suggest getting some expanded metal or another charcoal grate so that the spaces are smaller as lump likes to fall through the regular grate.

Back