Building an enclosure

C.W. Nash

So I'm thinking about building an enclosure for my 18" WSM and 22" OTG. I'm thinking about using pressure treated posts and cedar siding to match my fence. Something along these lines:
BBQ.jpg

The WSM would fit in the left compartment, the OTG on the right and I would have a work surface in the center and storage below for charcoal, utensils, chimney, etc.. The doors to all three compartments would be hinged so they could open and I'd put a small access hatch on the backside of the WSM compartment so I could get to the back vent. A full length one piece lid would top it off.

Does anyone know what a safe standoff would be between the Webers and the wood? I could line it with some aluminum insulation if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice

C.W.,first of all,welcome to the forum!
As far as an enclosure goes,I don't know about using wood. One stray spark,and it could get REALLY fugly. Quickly.
Here is one I built out of cinder blocks. It has a concrete countertop and a natural stone veneer. While there is a plywood base to the countertop,it is protected from the heat by the edge of the countertop.
While everything was REALLY heavy and kicked my butt HARD,it only cost about $500. And I love the countertop! I can take a hot WSM or OTS lid and just set it on it. And the sealed countertop is easy to wipe off. I hope this helps,and let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks Phil, yours looks really nice! I'm not sure if I could sell my wife on something like what you've got there. She changes her mind and rearranges furniture so often it would driver her nuts!

I'm thinking I may be able to line the inside with sheet metal and insulation or welders mat to protect it from an occasional spark. Going to do some more research before I decide what to do.

C.W., where do you live? If it rains or snows you may consider putting a top on you box. This could be done with a 4x8 sheet of plywood and roofing shingles. I have done one and it works great even in the rain. You can bolt all pieces together and disassemble should the mood arise. I know that mine doesn't have the sophistication of your design but could be an outside frame.

cookshack001.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
C.W., where do you live? If it rains or snows you may consider putting a top on you box. This could be done with a 4x8 sheet of plywood and roofing shingles. I have done one and it works great even in the rain. You can bolt all pieces together and disassemble should the mood arise. I know that mine doesn't have the sophistication of your design but could be an outside frame.

cookshack001.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is AWESOME!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That is AWESOME!

I wonder if it'd be louder with bigger wires? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
?????????????

Back