Brisket on a 22.5 Kettle?

Jeremy P.

Is there a good way to do a brisket on a kettle so it won't dry out? All the recipes I've seen are for the smoker. I have one of those, but want to make the World's Best Rib's recipe from here at the same time.
Aside from buying a 2nd smoker ( as nice as that would be, it's not in the cards right now )I can't think of a way to do both at the same time.
Any thoughts?

I do them on the kettle here in Okla. My smoker is in Fla. I do them at high heat, same as I do on a smoker. To deflect direct heat I fashion deflectors at each coal pile so to keep the more intense heat from the briskets sides, which are closest to the heat.

You can do the ribs easily on a kettle, as Wolgast suggests. Or you can start the brisket on the upper rack, move it to the lower when you need to add the ribs.

Found a pic. One pile of coals, unseen, to the left. You can see the foil I stuck partially under the coal basket then up and somewhat around it to deflect heat. I rotated the brisket 180? at one point to even cooking during the smoking stage, then rotated it again at the beginning of the foiled stage, rotated back again halfway through the foiled stage.

That depends on the cooktemps. Since it's a portion of the flat you're cooking, I'd suggest foiling when it reaches 163-165 if it is a nice thick flat, or 5? lower if the flat is thin or overtrimmed. Then cook till tender.

Place the brisket on a sheet of heavy duty foil that's a five or so inches longer on each end. Place another sheet on top. Bring the sides and ends of the lower sheet up then crimp top to bottom. Keep the crimp high, so that any exuded juices (or any liquid you add - I do packers, don't trim them much if any at all, and don't add liquid, but one can) have no easy means of escape.

A foiled packer, note how the crimp joint is high up - just above the top of the brisket's sides:

101_0072.jpg

Back