Brisket Flat on OTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenA

TVWBB Member
I have had various Weber kettles over the last 25 years, from the old spin vent version to the OTS now. I love them and have been brand loyal, staying with charcoal all the way. You can cook almost anything on em, as yall know.

I did a nice brisket flat smoked with cherrywood chip yesterday. Low and slow at 250. Bare and smoked for 4 hours, foiled and cooked for another 3, and tented and rested for 2 more. So tender that I had to let it cool off just to be able to slice it without smashing it to pieces.

The point of this thread is to extoll the virtues of the Weber briquet holders I just recently bought.

In the past, I have just banked coals and cooked. That worked fairly well, but with the holders, maintaining a set temp is alot easier. On top of that, the coals seem to last forever in them. I did the MM within the holder and got 5 hours of steady temp and smoke before reloading. I just used one holder on the far side of the OTS, and a water/drip pan on the other.

I never thought those coal holders were anything nessessary. Now I cant think of doing a longer cook without them. Turns the OTS into a smoker. Like having the smokinator, only cheaper. And with the hinge grate, adding chips is a no brainer too.

Try them, you will like them.
KenA

WOW - you got 5 hours before have to reload that is great to hear. I just bought a performer and was wondering how long I could maintain a temp without having to reload.

I have never made a brisket but I am getting close to trying.

Yeah the kettle does great as a smoker as long as you don't need a ton of food. I do the some thing if I'm doing a small smoke and don't need the WSM's. Figure it this way people have been smoking on kettles for over fifty years. And yes I love the charcoal holders too. Especially with the rotisserie.

if you have access to some sheet metal, you can make your own charcoal holder/baffle...

i cut two sheets that measured about 7 inches across and 9-10 inches tall (roughly)...i then creased the bottom at a 90 degree angle to make them into an "L" shape (the crease is about an inch or two)

when i'm ready to cook, i slide the two sheets between the grates and then add my chunks and unlit coals, then mix in my lit coals, MM style...the sheets stand up by themselves and are also supported by the grates

the sheets protect my meat from direct heat and hold my coals in place...plus i have no problem keeping a constant temp

i use the sheets for all of my indirect cooking, not just smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back