Breaking in a DigiQ - Beginner ??

Todd Brazil

TVWBB Member
Does the Pit Viper (10cm) fan tend to blow ashes around the cooker for everyone? I noticed some light ash accumulating on my pork butt, which was located on the upper cooking grate, during my 1st cook. This occured after about 12 hours in as she was running out of K. The damper was set to half open per the instructions. Should the damper be closed further with an 18" WSM to prevent this? Did this happen because the fan was running almost continuously due to low fuel?

Todd,

I've got the same set up as you've got, and thus far I haven't experienced the problem you're seeing although I haven't run low on coals on a cook yet. You might check to make sure the inside air outlet spout on the adapter is pointed downward and is still seated snug against the wall. It took a bit of putzing to get mine lined up just right.

Todd,
I'd guess the problem could have been the blower continuously blowing on a lot of ash. I haven't had that problem in the short time I've had my digi.

I've only had to add coals a couple of times while using my digi and didn't get the ash. Maybe I was just lucky. My cooks weren't as long as your's. Mine were about 6-8 hours but the temp was in the upper 20s and I was cooking at 325-350. I may have added coals before they were down as much as in your case.

Todd-

Suggest you use lump charcoal since it does not give off as much ash as tradional charcoal briquettes. I have learned to use lump when using my guru and have better results.

Mike

I've only used my DigiQ DX II five times, but I've never had ash on my meats. In addition to Dave Penn's suggestion to make sure the inside diverter is pointing down, I would also recommend that you make sure it is seated well on the inside of the bowl. The video on YouTube shows big gaps and them covering it with the included tape. My shipped with out a nut on the machine screw and seemed to seat very well on the bowl. The fan should direct all of the are under the charcoal grate.

Another thing to consider is that closing the fan damper probably increases the velocity of the air coming out of the fan, which could be stirring up the ashes.

Back