Bought Some Charcoal - Suggestions On Use?

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a WSM (18) and a Weber Performer Deluxe.

I have been using KBB since I got them in the summer.

Today I finally got around to visiting the local BBQ store and bought the following:

1) Weber Briquettes (2 bags)
2) Jealous Devil Lump XL (1 bag)
3) Jealous Devil Chunx (1 bag)

Was looking for suggestions on when to use what?

Thanks!!!

Guy at the store said they are getting shipments in every few days. That have not had a time when they have been out of stock. He doesn’t think they have stopped production in Canada.

Run back and buy all the weber if they have more. You will not be disappointed.

I like lump in my WSM's but the Weber charcoal is great!
I've yet to use the JD but I read it has some long burn times suitable for your WSM.

Thanks Timothy!

Just trying to create almost a chart on when to use what on both the performer and the wsm.

ie...
Brisket on WSM low and slow use x? And why...
Chicken wings on the Performer use x? And why...
Steaks on the Performer use x? And why...
Ribs on the WSM, use x? And why...

etc....

I would think since the Weber and the Jealous Devil are pretty much considered top options, they may both be interchangeable in many ways?

I still have some KBB and might get more if it goes on sale. Been using that for everything so far.

Love that idea.

I just started in March this year but have been using my WSM and Mastertouch a ton! For me, I use KBB for grilling burgers, steaks, chops, vortex wings, etc and the Weber Charcoal that I have left for anything over 2 hours. I have had better results maintaining low consistent temps with the weber charcoal in my WSM for pork butts, ribs, brisket. And I seem to need less of the weber because it lasts longer.

I am very curious about the Jealous Devil Chunx.... seems like the perfect compromise between their lump and Weber briquettes for example.

Was tempted to try some Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg lump as well.

Chris,
In my little 14 WSM KBB filled to the rim gets max 6 hours, on the other hand, Weber in the same set up I have gotten over 15 hours at 250ish, yeah that much of a difference. I would use the Weber for your long cooks, I go with a smaller minion to start and am ready to cut the vents back earlier and more, at least those have been the truths I have experienced over and over again in my 14 WSM, but I have never cooked in the 18.
I have three bags of Weber left, it will be saved for loooooong cooks. I will be using Royal Oak Chefs Select for everything else.
After you try Weber, you need to go back to the BBQ store buy all they have and then start to sale it in the American Black Market.

Chris,
Also I got some RO lump recently and used in the vortex last week and I got the best results yet. I could never get the needle pinning results you do, I have come to think my vortex is not as large so the lumped helped that, but knowing your results with KBB and the vortex I don't think you need to try that.
Last thought, I don't think it is which type for which thing, I think it is try them out and deciding what you like to cook with for different set ups. After using RO lump, RO Chefs Select, RO All Natural, KBB, B & B briquettes, and Weber, I know I like Weber best, RO Chefs Select next, and I think I will keep some lump on hand also.

I like lump charcoal best for hot and fast cooks, especially searing steaks - based on my experience, and research, no matter what brand, lump always burns hotter than briquettes. Briquettes may or may not work better for low and slow cooks. There are a ton of variables when it comes to lower and slower cooks. There are even more opinions than variables ;)

My best advice is to try use fuel that is consistently available and within your normal price point to limit your variables. I think that's why there are some many people that keep using Kingsford blue bag- it's always there, and it's really consistent. For the most part, I'm focusing on lump, but took a slight detour this week when I saw some Weber briquettes on sale... because.... Weber!

Back