Blueberry Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce

Tracy Seelhammer

TVWBB Member
Disclaimer #1: I grew 1 (ONE) Ghost Pepper plant this year in my garden, and I don't know what happened, but I've pulled at least 30 ripe peppers off of it so far, and will be pulling the last 50 or so off this weekend. I've chopped and vacuum sealed, I've made and canned salsa, and I've brought them to work. I wanted to find a hot sauce recipe to use up a bunch of them, so -
Disclaimer #2: I found a version of this recipe off of reddit, and modified it slightly. I won't claim it as my original, and will be more than happy to credit the original recipe to the author, if you'd like.

Blueberry Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce
Ingredients:
-6 Ghost Peppers (coarsely chopped with seeds)
-1 cup blueberries
-Juice of one large orange (5 tablespoons)
-Juice of half a lime (1 tablespoon)
-¼ cup honey
-½ teaspoon salt
-½ teaspoon cinnamon
-½ cup white rice wine vinegar
-1 green onion (scallion)

Directions:
Put all ingredients into a saucepan. Heat on medium, stirring occasionally.
Once simmering, continue stirring occasionally (no boiling, please!) for around 20 minutes.
Remove from heat, let cool.
Pour into blender, blend, bottle.

The recipe above filled three 5 oz hot sauce bottles.
Cooling is important: No bueno when 200 degree purple hot sauce blows the lid off of your blender (didn't happen to me, but...)

In the past month, I've gone through one of the bottles at home, and we have started up on bottle #2 at work. Not as hot as I expected, the fruitiness of the blueberries, orange, along with the acid of the vinegar really balances things out. When I make it again this weekend, I will find a way to strain it a bit, as the blueberry skins didn't break up as much as I would like and tend to get caught in the shaker portion of the bottles.

20200924_120153.jpg

I've bookmarked this recipe Tracy. Sounds really interesting. Can't say as I've even seen Ghost Peppers in any of our stores but I'll keep looking. I love hot!

My weekend follow-up:
Last weekend for the garden. I pulled all of the peppers that were ready to go off of the one Ghost Pepper plant and ended up with NINETY THREE peppers. Ooof.
  • 12 more bottles of Blueberry Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce
  • 12 quarter pints of Pineapple GP Sauce
  • 12 quarter pints of Kentucky Bourbon GP Sauce
  • 12 quarter pints of Cherry GP Sauce
  • Gave away 3 dozen peppers and two bottles of sauce

Still have over 2 dozen peppers. Suggestions?

My weekend follow-up:
Last weekend for the garden. I pulled all of the peppers that were ready to go off of the one Ghost Pepper plant and ended up with NINETY THREE peppers. Ooof.
  • 12 more bottles of Blueberry Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce
  • 12 quarter pints of Pineapple GP Sauce
  • 12 quarter pints of Kentucky Bourbon GP Sauce
  • 12 quarter pints of Cherry GP Sauce
  • Gave away 3 dozen peppers and two bottles of sauce

Still have over 2 dozen peppers. Suggestions?
Hot pepper relish! It hot pepper jelly.

Back