Best Turkey Brine

Bob Ascher

I know I am a day late and a dollar short, but wanted to share this, maybe for Christmas.
I have been using this brine for several years and it never disappoints, and it seems to get better every time I use it. I also have to tell you that I got this from food.com
In a Large Stock Pot
1 1/2 cups of Kosher Salt
1 1/2 cups of Brown Sugar
3 tsp of Peppercorns
3 tsp of dried Thyme
3 tsp of dried Basil
2 Oranges Quartered - I squeeze the juice out of the orange and then put them in the pot.
1 1/2 gallons of Water
1 Turkey - 15-18 lbs.
Bring the brine to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Let the brine cool completely before adding the Turkey into the brine.

Prep Turkey as usual, removing the inside extras as well as trimming the excess fat - Rinse thoroughly.
Place Turkey in the pot, breast side down in the pot, if a small portion is left uncovered, it's going to be the keel or maybe the leg tips and it won't matter as they are not important. Put the Turkey in the fridge for 8-24 hours - I always brine mine overnight and close to the 24-hour time period.

Remove the Turkey and rinse thoroughly - the better the rinsing, the less salty the bird will be.

At this point I like to do the Spatchcock version of cooking where the spine of the Turkey is cut out and the breastbone is pressed and cracked to flatten the bird. Cooking time & temps will vary depending on if it's being smoked on the grill or in the oven. Internal temp at the thigh should be 165 degrees. (See food.com for info on Spatchcocking the bird, also works well on Chickens)

Make sure to save the pan drippings as it makes an amazing gravy.
Hope you enjoy as much as we have.

I do real simple. I just boil water, and add one cup sea salt, then brine overnight. I guess I am just lazy, or I haven't noticed a real big difference.

Back