Beef Tenderloin

David

TVWBB Pro
Ok, first omission, no pics. Thought about it at one time, but since it was Christmas day, it was just too busy, but thought I should say how it went with cooking this expensive piece of beef.

I decided to cook it indirect/reverse sear so as to have the entire slab medium rare and not overdone on the outside and rare in the middle. I trimmed the fat and any silver skin on the meat and then I did nothing other than oil the tenderloin with veg. oil and then lightly salt, pepper with a lite dusting of onion and garlic powder. I folded the skinny end of the tenderloin back under so that it would be an even thickness from end to end and tied it up with kitchen string.

I put in a smoker box for the grill and once it began smoking at a temp of about 300 I put in the tenderloin on the left side of my Webber Genesis with only the right burner turned to about 1/2, and closed the grill. I had my Maverick in and kept the temp around the 290-310 area. This was a 6.5 lb tenderloin and at about 2 hours I was at the 125 internal temp and then fired up the burner to full and put a sear on all sides of the meat. At 135 I pulled it and wrapped for about 10 minutes. I then unwrapped for another 5 minutes prior to cutting slices about 3/4 inch thick. The tenderloin was a perfect medium rare from edge to edge, with just an eighth of inch sear on outside. Absolutely delicious, and with a tenderloin, tender as can be, no knife required. I also made a horseradish creamy sauce to go with it. Outstanding combo. Served with a small fresh garden salad, a Parmesan cheese creamed grilled corn casserole, fresh asparagus, and homemade parker rolls. A glass of wine thrown in to wash it down. The wife made a lemon chestnut pie that sealed the perfect meal. Best Christmas dinner ever.:D

Surprisingly enough, with five of us eating it for Christmas dinner we only ate about 1/2 of it. The rest was eaten over the next several days. It warmed up nicely in the microwave, without overcooking it, but I preferred it cold placed between a hot roll with dab of the horseradish sauce.:)

Sounds Dee-lish!
You didn't mention what smoke-wood you added to the box. I like Red Oak on a TL, what did you use?

Tim

Sounds good Dave! That's exactly what we do every year for Christmas dinner! I usually get a whole tenderloin and cut it up, and cook a piece for dinner! This year with work and all we cooked it in the oven but I'm going to do another piece on the smoker soon!

Sounds good Dave! That's exactly what we do every year for Christmas dinner! I usually get a whole tenderloin and cut it up, and cook a piece for dinner! This year with work and all we cooked it in the oven but I'm going to do another piece on the smoker soon!

Haven't done one on the smoker. How long do you cook it and at what temp? Seems like a short cook to fire up the wsm.

Not long. All depends on the size. 130* for a few pound piece 2-3 hours, guessing? I'll report back when I do.

Back