Be Careful with Your Thermometer

Keith Jenkins

TVWBB Member
I just replaced my aftermarket (Tel-Tru) lid-mounted thermometer that was mounted on my 22" kettle.

20240803_131214(0)A.jpg

20240803_131237A.jpg

I don't fault Tel-Tru for this issue; they manufacture very good thermometers, in my opinion.

Not sure if I bumped it on the edge of the grill or if I overheated it by positioning it over the coals of a very hot fire the last time I cooked my kettle.

Note the erroneous reading on the thermometer (air temperature was about 90F when I took the pictures), as well as the bent shaft

Perhaps my misfortune can serve as a warning to others to be very careful with such thermometers.

Before You buy therms look at the back of them, the good ones have a adjustment nut, so don't throw 1 out before you look. it maybe adjustable.

Before You buy therms look at the back of them, the good ones have a adjustment nut, so don't throw 1 out before you look. it maybe adjustable.
Agreed. The one pictured above doesn't seem to have an adjustment nut, and with the stem bent, I think its days are done. But I haven't thrown it out just yet, so I will take another look at it.

This happened to my performer thermometer, Weber replaced it but I lost it in a fire at the house.
Ordered a new one on Amazon, so far so good. I try not to put it over the coals now.

Long story but we lost just about everything last year. It was deemed 100% total loss.

House is hopefully going to be ready to move back next summer. 🙏🏻

I’ll share more details as we get closer to moving home, it’s been a slooooooooooooooooooow process.
Wow! Luckily you & the family are fine, everything else can be replaced.

I just replaced my aftermarket (Tel-Tru) lid-mounted thermometer that was mounted on my 22" kettle.

View attachment 97231

View attachment 97232

I don't fault Tel-Tru for this issue; they manufacture very good thermometers, in my opinion.

Not sure if I bumped it on the edge of the grill or if I overheated it by positioning it over the coals of a very hot fire the last time I cooked my kettle.

Note the erroneous reading on the thermometer (air temperature was about 90F when I took the pictures), as well as the bent shaft

Perhaps my misfortune can serve as a warning to others to be very careful with such thermometers.
Is that the 3" or 2 " stem?

Is that the 3" or 2 " stem?
A 2" dial with a 2.5" stem, I don't know if they make ones with shorter stems. I liked this one because of its temperature range of 50F to 550F, but the new one I got (also a 2" dial with a 2.5" stem) goes from 150F to 700F, which is probably better suited to grilling with the kettle. I have another one of the 50F to 550F range on my 18" WSM, and haven't seen this kind of issue there, but lower temperatures are expected in the WSM. Also, the sharply domed lid shape makes if far less likely the stem will come in contact with something that will bend it.

Amen, I’ll never forget the moment I knew we were screwed and it was time to get the kids!!
Glad to hear that everyone got out okay, but I am sorry for your losses. I hope and pray that the house can restored on a better time table; 2 years is a long time to be displaced.

Agreed. The one pictured above doesn't seem to have an adjustment nut, and with the stem bent, I think its days are done. But I haven't thrown it out just yet, so I will take another look at it.
I did take another look at the old thermometer. No adjustment nut or screw on the back, just a small weep hole. I'm going to chalk this one up to experience, and endeavor to be more careful with the new thermometer. As my father used to say, a good lesson will always cost you something; sometimes time, sometimes money, sometimes both.

Back