BBQ Guru NanoQ on the way. Any tips?

Jamie Ward

TVWBB Member
I'm super excited to take this new journey with the NanoQ and my 22" WSM.

Any tips from other NanoQ or other BBQ Guru owners?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stefan B:
set it and forget it!

did you get the wsm adaptor for the fan? what size fan did you get? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I did get the WSM adapter and 10 CFM fan. That's what
was recommended on the site.

Only recommendation is not to wait too long, buy or borrow a step drill and make a permanent mount for the adapter
icon_smile.gif

Not critical used my a few years before doing this, but kicking myself for not doing this sooner.

Other than that - get some eyelets if you didn't already.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Only recommendation is not to wait too long, buy or borrow a step drill and make a permanent mount for the adapter
icon_smile.gif

Not critical used my a few years before doing this, but kicking myself for not doing this sooner.

Other than that - get some eyelets if you didn't already. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does a permanent mount work any better? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. IMO the adapter did not fit that well to the inside surface of my 22.5" WSM. There was a small gap at the top because it would not go flush with the inside surface, so I had had extra tape for blocking the three open holes on the vent left over and used it to cover over the gap. One of the competitors seems to make two different size adaptors for the two WSM's, but fit of the adapter did concern me prior to getting the BBQ Guru's adapter.

After some research of previous posts found the answers to most of my question, but IMO I still think the adapter should fit better.

Permanent mount is more convenient. The adapter is the same, just a dedicated hole for it so you are not needing to give up one of your bottom vents when you are not using the controller for cooks. Also don't have to be replacing the tape periodically over time.

The fit on the inside isn't all that critical IMHO. As long as the mount stays in place during use is key. The interior fit really has no affect on performance.

Again my experience is only with the 18.5 WSM.

I like the idea of a permanant mount for the adapter. Ray - what size mounting hole did you make with the step drill? Was it larger than the original vent hole in the WSM ?

John Vale

Hey John - 1" hole. Just make sure you tape the area and make a 1/16 or so starter hole at the start to avoid bit travel and chipping (the tape) of the porcelain. I think that ends up being the same size as one of the vent holes in the WSM.

Pretty sure the instructions with the adapter calls for a 1" hole for permanent mount.

Back