BBQ Guru Fan Adapter

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm waiting for my CyberQ to arrive, and I have a question about the fan adapter. I saw a video on YouTube about installing the adapter, and the gentleman in the video seemed to use an awful lot of HH tape on it. I have an 18" WSM. Has anyone had any issues with the adapter not fitting correctly?

I have seen the same video on YouTube. Don't worry, the adapter will fit one of your WSM vents just fine without the need to put HH tape around it. It takes a little bit of adjusting to get it flush on the inside and outside. It will not sit properly if you try to center the screw in the vent hole. It must be slightly off center. Keep in mind, it is very easy to drill a 3/4" hole for the adapter with a Unibit. I just finished this modification on my WSM a couple of weeks ago and it looks very custom. If you intend to do this, just remember to use masking tape around the area to be drilled. Also be sure to use a pilot hole so the Unibit doesn't dance around.

I agree with Todd that you have plenty of tape. The YouTube video alouthough gave me a good idea on how to install could use some editing. I just cut equal square cuts for each of the vents and it worked well with plenty of left over. No need to tape from the inside.

You know Steven, I wondered the same thing when I ordered my DigiQ DX II. My adapter came without a machine nut on the screw. When I installed mine, it fit perfectly against the inside of the bowl. It made me wonder if the nut was too close to the diverter, it would not pivot on the screw enough to sit correctly against the bowl. I drilled an 7/8" hole, so I did not need to use any of the supplied tape.

Steven,
I don't know if you noticed it or not, but under the comments section the producer of the video mentions a correction in adjusting the fit of the adapter. Go read the comment if you haven't already. It makes a difference in the fit. I used very little if any tape around the adapter.

I was able to file a slot into the rivet head so the adapter stays centered in the hole and is flush.
20120212_090230.jpg

Back