Battle II: Milk Chocolate

No, I wanted to give the teams 3 full weekends to work on this so that everyone had plenty of time to brainstorm, prepare, and photo.

Here is jen's synopsis.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jennifer K:
I’ve pulled together a summary of sorts, containing the rules and schedule from various posts on this thread and others re Battle 1 - hopefully this will be useful for both teams – please correct anything I’ve misunderstood:

The Secret Ingredient for Battle 2 is MILK CHOCOLATE
Other ingredients are written into the judging criteria.

TEAMS FOR BATTLE 2

SWEDISH BBQ WIKINGS
Daniel Wolgast
Dennis Lundin
Daniel Andersson

TEAM AMERICA
Bill Michigan
Jennifer K
John Solak

PHOTOS
Each team will post 4 photos per day on a designated set of three dates (see below). Each 4-photo post will be shots of prep and cooking of one of the three dishes, or all three dishes. No text will is allowed. Any comments must be from the judges, commentator (J biesinger) and fellow board members.

8, 10 & 12 August : Team 1 (Swedish BBQ Wikings) will post

9, 11, & 13 August : Team 2 (Team USA) will post

FINAL JUDGING PHASE
14 August, prior to 12:00 am [midday Pacific Time?], each team must post 3 photos, comprising one photo of each of their three final dishes with explanation.

The judges can ask questions of the teams, all questions and replies must be completed by [midnight 16 August Pacific time ?] Scoring can be completed some time after q/a.

JUDGING

Each team can score a maximum of 30 POINTS

Judging is based on:
1) Appearance / presentation
2) Creativity / use of secret ingredient
3) Technique

Each of the above categories is worth 3 points, so the maximum score for each dish is 9, making for a combined max per team of 27 points.

4) Cohesion: this final category is awarded as a team score and is worth an additional 3 points.

JUDGING CATEGORIES

APPEARANCE: Covers the prep and final plated photos. There's is an element to planning your shots that is part of the competition. Judges are looking for good presentation from start to finish. This would be similar to how the IRON CHEF TV show discusses dishes as they are made. After plating, before scoring, the judges can post questions for the competitors.

CREATIVITY: covers creative uses of: secret ingredient, weber grills, fire/smoke, different proteins. More is better.

TECHNIQUE: covers how much of the creativity made sense. Did the cooking techniques match the chosen proteins? Does dish appear to be expertly executed? Was the secret ingredient used appropriately?

COHESION: covers the team/meal concept. Was there a theme other than secret ingredient? Was there repetition in any dish? Was the secret ingredient used in a unique manner for each dish? How well did the three dishes work together as a whole team effort?

This is going to be a whole lot of fun! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Here is jen's synopsis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks. I suppose I could have looked that up.

I'm intrigued by the Swedes who are reporting a lot of practice runs. When we battled, we did most of our work on paper and then it was just a matter of execution. I like their style though, it shows a real desire to knock one out of the park, and maybe its just simply a matter of a tough ingredient that requires serious creativity.

Practice makes perfect. I will settle for nothing but perfection on my dessert. I know its mostly a matter of look but i want my dish to taste just as good as it looks. After all, someone might want to follow the instructions and try it for them selfes.
icon_smile.gif

Back