Anyone got any tips for drilling through a WSM? Technique or bits?

RyanS_MN

TVWBB Fan
Anyone got any tips for drilling through a WSM. while i love love love this thing, not having a lid hinge has been an annoyance. And I do have a hinge that i bought a while ago but cannot for the life of me successfully drill though. I'm not sure if my technique sucks or if I just have crappy drill bits, so if anyone who's done this has any tips it'd really help me out.

Put some painters tape on first. Use a small bit first, start slow and increase speed, finish with the right sized bit.
I use uni-bits or step drill bits. They either go in 1/8" or 1/4" steps. You can use a center punch or sharp nail to help your bit from walking.

Tim

Put some painters tape on first. Use a small bit first, start slow and increase speed, finish with the right sized bit.
I use uni-bits or step drill bits. They either go in 1/8" or 1/4" steps. You can use a center punch or sharp nail to help your bit from walking.

Tim
my issue i think is mostly with it walking. I might try and pick up a new smaller bit and try the nail trick and see if that's just enough to get by. I'm not so worried about once i have the 8 holes started its just getting them started thats my issue.

If you have a fingertip clamp or a small c- clamp you could clamp the piece on and use that as a guide.

1598648786513.png

I would recommend against the nail or punch trick because of the risk of fracturing the porcelain. If walking is that much of a problem, perhaps it is time for new bits. I'm a klutz with a drill. I bought a new set of regular bits and a unibit when I modded my 22 with the hinge and the large silicone probe opening. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight set. And start smaller than you think you need to. Because of my klutziness, I applied painters tape to the unibit so I knew where to stop.

Second on the above.

Skip the punch/nail.. likely end up with spider cracks in the porcelain. Painters tape works for me, along with a very small starter bit.. 1/8" or smaller. Stepping up with a step bit or otherwise will then be easy.

You don't need to use a hammer on the punch or nail, just grab it, press hard and twist.
Your just trying to make a small dimple.
maybe the OP has those special bits that only work in reverse.

Thanks everyone. I ended up going to the hardware store for some new bits to at least start the holes with and they punched through without an issue. Took a while to drill all the holes I needed but its done and fantastic.

I used this video as reference before I installed my hinge on the WSM.

I did use a unibit instead of just the drill because it was cleaner.

After it is done, you will ask yourself why haven't you installed your hinge earlier. I love it do much, hated have to find a place to put the lid.

I used this video as reference before I installed my hinge on the WSM.

I did use a unibit instead of just the drill because it was cleaner.

After it is done, you will ask yourself why haven't you installed your hinge earlier. I love it do much, hated have to find a place to put the lid.
yeah i finally made a batch of quarters last thursday and once again had to set the lid on my open kettle and i was like ok this is getting ridiculous. My smoker doesn't have a permanent outside home either so setting up a shepherds hook wasn't really an option either. I'm excited to get my cylinder locks and throw some spare ribs on this bad boy.

Back