Any WSM and Fireboard 2 owners around?

Willie (Green Bay)

TVWBB Member
It's been awhile since i've visited here, because shame on me, i wondered away from my Webers for a bit because i was sucked into the set it and forget it world of pellet smokers. Well, long story short, while convenient, it's nowhere near the same taste as what i could get on my WSM.

So i pulled the trigger on a Fireboard 2 and BBQ Guru Viper fan and Weber adapter (cringe at the thought of putting holes in my Webers). Hopefully with this combo i can get the set it and forget it convenience i have with my pellet unit, but with the deliciousness of the WSM!!

I have the Weber iGrill 2 which has served me well, but doesn't give me much flexibility if i go out of bluetooth range and obviously doesn't allow me to control the cooker remotely.

Just trying to see who has this setup for when i start tossing questions out there.
Feel free to throw out any pointers while i wait for everything to arrive.

I have the Fireboard 2 Drive since the release day last month and use it with the BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan. I was planning to get the Drive blower along with the Fireboard 2 but they didn't have the ball valve adapter available yet and still don't.

So far, I'm loving it. I really like the app and being able to manage and check the temps over WIFI is great. I havent' had any issues with it maintaining temperatures and my graphs have been steady with my desired temperature setting. I do get the occasion flare ups and the temps get higher for a bit before cooling back down. I'm a techy guy so i love the cloud base system. I've only used it about 9 times so far and I definitely like alot more than my DigiQ. Doesn't require its own power source which is great, the lithium battery will last me a while before I need to charge it and if I did need to charge, I have external battery i can just plug it into so I'm not required to have a outlet.

I did have one issue with the Fireboard 2, I noticed i have a rattle inside of it. I contacted Fireboard support, they have great customer service and really prompt. Per Fireboard ". We found a slight issue with our first batch we manufactured. If the screws are over tightened, it puts a great deal of pressure on the light pipes. Then with any impact (like in shipping) they can break. We have since then changed how they are assembled so that wont keep happening. We of course will replace it with a new unit.". So they are sending me a new one and I just return the old one once the new one arrives.

I have that exact setup with my 22.5"! Contact Fireboard right away if you have any issues. Their customer service has been outstanding!

View attachment 9458
Does the smaller Pit Viper shown here (10 cfm) do a good job or should I get a Pit Bull (25 cfm). I would probably prefer the 10 cfm so I have less ash blowing around if it performs well. I am getting the Fireboard 2 Drive. I like how it varies the speed of the fan versus turning it off and on and how you can adjust the maximum fan speed percent.

It's been awhile since i've visited here, because shame on me, i wondered away from my Webers for a bit because i was sucked into the set it and forget it world of pellet smokers. Well, long story short, while convenient, it's nowhere near the same taste as what i could get on my WSM.

So i pulled the trigger on a Fireboard 2 and BBQ Guru Viper fan and Weber adapter (cringe at the thought of putting holes in my Webers). Hopefully with this combo i can get the set it and forget it convenience i have with my pellet unit, but with the deliciousness of the WSM!!

I have the Weber iGrill 2 which has served me well, but doesn't give me much flexibility if i go out of bluetooth range and obviously doesn't allow me to control the cooker remotely.

Just trying to see who has this setup for when i start tossing questions out there.
Feel free to throw out any pointers while i wait for everything to arrive.
Willie, I have a Rec Tec 680 and I would agree the smoke flavor is not very strong but I knew that going in. I now use my WSM 22 to smoke my meats for the first 4-6 hours and then after I wrap them, I use the Rec Tec to finish the cook at whatever temperature for the balance of time. It works very well and don't have to waste charcoal or smell up the house by finishing it in the oven ( you will only do this one time or risk getting locked out of the house by you know who). I find I can run basic cooking pellets which are cheaper than charcoal. Speaking of charcoal, I did not see the great holiday pricing we normally get for Memorial Day, 4th of July or Labor Day. COVID struck this to.

Does the smaller Pit Viper shown here (10 cfm) do a good job or should I get a Pit Bull (25 cfm). I would probably prefer the 10 cfm so I have less ash blowing around if it performs well. I am getting the Fireboard 2 Drive. I like how it varies the speed of the fan versus turning it off and on and how you can adjust the maximum fan speed percent.
The Viper does an outstanding job on my 22" WSM and my Summit Charcoal Grill! I think the Bull may be overkill for a WSM, but I could be wrong.

Hey everyone, finally managed to assemble my WSM 18.5. Here are photos of my WSM with the FIREBOARD DRIVE BLOWER 20 CFM attached to the vent hole at the bottom with FIREBOARD's DRIVE BLOWER NOZZLE ADAPTER. I tested the fan at 50% and it blows a good amount of air into the smoker. I have not used the set up yet, probably sometime this weekend will be when I actually put it all to the test. This is just to let ya'll FIREBOARD owners know that the blower fan will fit and you don't need to drill a hole into your smoker. I bought some 3/4" plugs for the vents that are coming tomorrow. I would have gone with the Viper or Pit Bull but I decided to just stay with FIREBOARD all around since I have the FIREBOARD DRIVE 2 and the adapter for another fan would have just cost the same anyways. Let me know if ya'll have any more questions about the FIREBOARD!

Attachments

• IMG_2229.jpg
    IMG_2229.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2228.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 56
Hey everyone, finally managed to assemble my WSM 18.5. Here are photos of my WSM with the FIREBOARD DRIVE BLOWER 20 CFM attached to the vent hole at the bottom with FIREBOARD's DRIVE BLOWER NOZZLE ADAPTER. I tested the fan at 50% and it blows a good amount of air into the smoker. I have not used the set up yet, probably sometime this weekend will be when I actually put it all to the test. This is just to let ya'll FIREBOARD owners know that the blower fan will fit and you don't need to drill a hole into your smoker. I bought some 3/4" plugs for the vents that are coming tomorrow. I would have gone with the Viper or Pit Bull but I decided to just stay with FIREBOARD all around since I have the FIREBOARD DRIVE 2 and the adapter for another fan would have just cost the same anyways. Let me know if ya'll have any more questions about the FIREBOARD!
Mountain bikes and smokers... right up my alley!

• Haha
Reactions: Duc
I picked up the Fireboard 2 Drive and BBQ Guru Viper fan w/Weber adapter for my WSM 22. Can't wait to test it out soon as the Weber adapter is delivered :)

Reactions: Duc

Back