Any Chef's Choice Knife Sharpener Owners Out There?

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
Hello All:

Several months ago, I purchased a Model 320 Diamond Hone sharpener based on a number of reviews that I had read. According to the user guide, the first step of this two-step process is supposed to create a "burr" on the side of the knife blade, and the second step supposedly grinds down the burr to a razor-sharp edge.

While none of my knives are expensive, high-quality cutlery, neither are they As-Seen-On-TV Ginzus. My problem is, I have been unable to replicate this "burr" as identified in the guide, no matter what I do, or what knife I use.

While the final result is "okay", I would not characterize it as an edge with "hair-splitting sharpness" as purported in the narrative extolling the virtues of the system printed on the front of the box.

An inquiry to tech support/customer service was somewhat disappointing, resulting in the perfunctory "ship it back to us and we'll have a look" response.

Are there any Chef's Choice owners out there who can share their experience with me?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rooster

Here's my guess.

I use an edgepro apex which allows me to change the angle of the grinding stone. I have a hard time getting a burr with an old edge and an acute grinding angle. If the stone is set at a lower angle that the old edge it will only sharpen the top of the bevel. My coarsest stone was 220 grit and it was nearly impossible to get a burr at a reasonable angle on very dull knives. I have since got a 120 grit stone that can make short work of dull knives and restore an edge with an acute angle.

knife%20angle.JPG

J - thanx for your reply. This model sharpener, unfortunately, does not permit changing the angle, as the plastic guides are fixed. Guess I'll have to ship it back to them for inspection - Caveat emptor, I s'pose....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">J - thanx for your reply. This model sharpener, unfortunately, does not permit changing the angle, as the plastic guides are fixed. Guess I'll have to ship it back to them for inspection - Caveat emptor, I s'pose.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my guess its more your blades than the machine. It might take a lot more passes before you get the edge angle restored to the point where the stone is grinding the entire bevel.

In my drawing, you'll notice the stone angle does not change, the only thing that changed was that metal was removed from the blade. I'm not sure how coarse the diamond hone is, but I needed to go to a 120 grit stone before I felt capable of changing the angle of an edge.

I inspect the edge with a photo loupe 8X magnifcation. If you draw a line down the edge with a sharpie you can tell where the grinding is going on. Wash the knife real good after using a sharpie on it.

Back