All-Day Boston Baked Beans

Jane Cherry

TVWBB All-Star
I found this recipe from someone who posted on Epicurious about another recipe they liked better. So, after looking it up, I thought I would give it a try for a BBQ dinner for 30 I am catering. I am using a large slow cooker, and let me stress how wonderful these smell while I was layering the ingredients. This one is a definite keeper.

* Exported from MasterCook *

All Day Boston baked beans

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 lb or 500g bag of small white beans (called navy beans or cannellini beans or haricot beans -- depending on where you are)
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
1 chunk fresh ginger
4 Tbs. molasses -- or 4-5 Tbs. dark brown sugar
1 chunk smoked bacon or ham
2 to 3 bay leaves
2 tsp. salt
Several grinds of black pepper
4 chipotle peppers -- dried
1 tsp. dried mustard powder -- or 1 Tbs. prepared mustard (brown or Dijon style..whatever you have around)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
water

Equipment needed: an oven and a large, heavy-bottomed pot, or a crock pot or slow cooker.

Slice the onion. Smash and roughly chop the garlic. Peel and grate the ginger.

Put all the ingredients into the pot. Pour in water to about 1 1/2 inch / 4 cm above the level of the beans. Mix well.

Set your oven temperature to 250°F / 120°C, or your crock pot / slow cooker to around 200°F / 93°C. (If you have a Rival crock pot, this would be the LOW setting.) Put your pot in or turn it on, depending on what approach you're taking. Set the timer to 6 hours. At that point, check on the pot - the beans may be a bit hard, or not, depending on how dry they were to start with. Usually I find it needs at least 8 hours for the beans to get really tender and sort of caramel-colored. Add water as needed if it looks dry. (If you can't be there to check at the 6 hour mark, just add more water to start with so it doesn't dry up.)

Serve with carb of your choice. The perfect accompaniment is a crisp, green salad of romaine or cos lettice, with a sharp vinegarette.

NOTES : The bacon or chipotle give the beans a slightly smoky flavor, so you can use both, or just one. I would just fish out the bacon afterwards since it would have given all of its soul to the beans, though you can eat it if you want, of course. The chipotle will probably just disintegrate, but if you are left with any inedible skins just take them out before serving.

You may regard the addition of ketchup as blasphemy, but it does add a bit of sour-sweetness plus color. Omit it if it goes against your religion.

To make this appeal more to unrelenting carnivores, add some whole wiener-type sausages during the last 15 minutes or so of cooking.
Leftovers get even better.

Back