Adding coals?

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
I am doing a pork shoulder on my Performer this weekend. Since I am using a kettle I need to add fresh coals every hour, do I need to light them first or can I add unlit coal?

Thanks for any help

Treat the grill as if it were a smoker and use the Minion Method. Pile a big bunch of unlit on one side, then top with some lit. You will get hours of heat.
see this

I agree with Dave, but when it comes time to add even more coals, you can simply add unlit coal. Just make sure the unlit touches the lit, and you shouldn't run into any heat issues.

Best of luck! Let us know how your cook goes...

Barret

Thank you Dave and Barret. I will report back with my results, should be an experience. I have grilled quick stuff thru the winter but this will be my first long cook in cold weather. It will take me back to the days when I lived in Montreal, doing steaks on a little Hibachi.

Thanks again,
Eric

Weber Performer - Black / Weber Performer - Blue

Needless to say, if you add unlit it will take some time, maybe 20 minutes or so, for them to do you any good. If you have some lump, consider adding it as it provides heat faster. Good luck dodging the snow flakes. It's really coming down here now.

It should be stopping soon up there, I am in Farmington and it just stopped a little while ago. I am using Basques lump so I am good to go there. I almost cried last weekend when I finished my Maple leaf, a friend of mine brought 2 bags down when he visited. No worries though, I am heading up in February or March, will pick some up then.

Eric, I see that you are in Farmington, CT, and plan on picking up some Maple Leaf in the next several weeks during a planned visit to Montreal.

I am in West Hartford. If you would be willing to do a major solid for a neighbor and fellow TVWBB member, and you have some room in your car during the return trip, I would be grateful if you would grab an extra bag or two so that I can replenish my dwindling stash. I would of course be happy to drive the few miles to Farmington to pick up whatever you are able to bring down for me.

You can reach me via e-mail at kjw_westhartford@yahoo.com.

Good luck with the shoulder cook.

I agree with everyone here. The minion method is the way to go. Using firebricks, (I bought mine at Rona for about 3$ each) I put around 80 unlit briquettes mixed with wood for smoke. Then, on top of that, I put 10 burning briquettes. bottom vent slithly open (almost closed) and top fully open. You should reach 250 really fast. With this method, you'll quickly become bored doing bbq cause it's get so simple. I usually gets around 5-6 hours of heat without much variation.

Here's my set up
bbq%2016-10-10%20003.JPG

You can also see that I foiled the bottom grate everywhere except under the coals.

Good luck
Fred

Kevin I am going to do a little homework and see how much I can bring thru the border but I am sure I can get some for you. What a small world Fred, My buddy Francois got my Maple Leaf lump at Rona, he lives in Laval as well, right off the 440. That's where I will be staying when I head up to visit. Got my fire bricks today so I am all set for tomorrow. Meat has been in the fridge since noon with the rub, anxious to see how the cold weather cook goes.

See ya,
Eric

You never know, your friend may be my neighbor;-) I live in Chomedey, south of the 440 and maybe 2 minutes from the 15. If you smell smoke coming that way, follow it and you may end up to my place.

Let us know how your cook went
Fred

Eric,
I do the fire brick method similar to Frederic's picture; However, one thing I do differently is move the fire bricks over almost to the half way point and fill the entire side with coals all the way up to the top. I drop the lit coals on the far side next to the flip up grate. Once when I was cooking 2 large butts, I got an over 13+ hour burn without adding coals.

If you have to add charcoal, it's not a big deal. I just drop unlit on top (the flip up grate actually acts sorta like a loading ramp), but if you set it up right, you won't need to.

http://i853.photobucket.com/al...stonbuttcoldcook.jpg

Here is a pic before it went on, no after pics, it took a little longer than I expected and was in a hurry with my guests arriving.

My only problem was starting my igniter pieces of lump, ran out of propane in my torch then the **** thing didn't even work with a new tank, pulled my other Performer out of the shed and used the gas assist to light 6 pieces. My temps would spike a bit when I pulled the lid to mop but it became routine to bring it back down quickly. Awesome experience learning how to manage the temps. My only regret was it wasn't bigger, no leftovers
icon_frown.gif

Too funny Fred, Francois is in Chomedy as well, right off of Boul. Cleroux.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Hmmn what to attack next, maybe some Dinosaur ribs.

Eric

Glad it went well. I've never tried with lump but with briquettes, everything has become very easy to do.

Your friend lives at the complete opposite from our house. We live in a small neigborhood located at the corner of Chomedey and Notre Dame.

Take care,
Fred

Back