Adding a TelTru on a new WSM question

AaronH

TVWBB Member
Trying to find this answer and came up short.

I have been reading a lot of stuff about people adding a TelTru to their WSM. I know the new 18 and 22 come with temp gauges on the lid though. Are people removing this or is just doing it on the older models that didn't come with one.

I have to admit I love the look of the TelTru and would love to put one on, but confused on why? Does the one on the lid not work that well so that's why people replace it?

I've found the stock thermos to work very well in both the 18 and the 22. I see absolutely no reason to replace them. They are accurate and quite repsonsive.

Russ

I just got a new 18 for Christmas (Santa came early.... in a white FedEx truck) and I tested the thermo for accuracy. It was spot on in boiling water. As was my Thermopen.

What amazed me was my trusty Taylor digital thermocouple indicator/alarm was WAY off. Like 179 in boiling water. I had replaced the probe (bought 2), and I figured they were all Type K thermocouples. But maybe I got the wrong thing? As it is, I tossed them both. 30 degrees error in the range of interest is no good.

I have replaced the tel-tru on my 2006 WSM with the new weber thermo & bezel ... just as accurate, better looking, and 225* is straight up at the 12 o'clock position....easier to read at a glance
icon_cool.gif

Back