Adding 3rd grate to 18" WSM

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
Is there a thread or article around here discussing such a mod? The 3rd grate would be placed between the original top and bottom grates. My intent is to add a 3rd grate for smoking additional bellies into bacon.

What I've thought is to fashion 4 short lengths of 'pipe to support the grate. They'd be placed at the periphery of the bottom grate at 90 degree intervals with the middle grate placed onto them.

Thanks for the info!

I took a spare grate and using stainless steel threaded rod, some large stainless washers and stainless nuts made some "legs". Another set of washers and nuts creates feet that rest on the bottom grate. You can see some photos (sorry no closeup and you'll have to search through them) here
One day I'll take some good photos of it and put it on my blog

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Philip Madden:
I took a spare grate and using stainless steel threaded rod, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phillip, your spare grate appears to be another upper grate and not a lower one. Correct? And the construction looks great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Philip Madden:
I took a spare grate and using stainless steel threaded rod, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phillip, your spare grate appears to be another upper grate and not a lower one. Correct? And the construction looks great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its actually a grate out of a 18.5" One-Touch Compact (a weber sold here in Europe that is pretty much useless if you ask me). Its the same grate as a normal 18.5" kettle.

Back