ACTS - Are They Necessary or Helpful?

Larry Corall

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm a backyard guy - not pro and don't compete.
Know something but not a lot about automatic temperature control systems. Just don't see the need for them on any of my Webers. I'm happy with the mods that I've made to my WSM's and have never had trouble bringing them to temp or hold temps for the cooks that I've done.
If I competed or used bigger cookers then I would probably do some research and maybe install some type of ACTS.

ATCs aren't necessary, but they sure are handy. If you enjoy sitting out by your smoker and checking the pit temp to make sure everything is going okay, then you probably don't need one. But if you like to get the smoker going and then tend to other "honey do's" that the wife has given, the ATC is perfect to maintain the pit temp while I'm busy with other things. Or if we leave the house to visit with friends, I can set Stokerlog (while using Stoker) to send emails to my phone with pics of the graph from the cook.

Steve - I do enjoy tending my fires. That's half the fun + I'm part pyro.
I've learned over the years what temp my 18 1/2"r will hold and when I need to check it which I'm going to do anyway, remember ... I'm part pyro. I know I'll learn with my 22 1/2"r.
I'm already contemplating loading up the 22 1/2"r with brisket - probably 4 whole packers - and doing an overnighter - I do plan to get some sleep that night.

Got a Guru several years back. Used it a few times. It worked well - but I didn't want to deal with it. Have not used it since. Though simple, I didn't care for hooking it up, running the wires. And since it's simple to hit the cooktemp ballpark I seek (and since I don't care much for targeting some specific temp), not using it was a no brainer.

I'm not one for much fussing when cooking outside. I Minion the start, assemble and load the meat in the cooker; that's it. I don't remotely monitor cooktemp (I scarcely look at the cooker once it's going), don't monitor meat temp, don't baste, don't mess with the fire. If am going to foil whatever I'm cooking I do so when the time comes. That's about all the 'messing with' I care to do.

Long time Guru user here. Since the Digi I came out. So not as long as Kevin.

Love it! For cooks where the WSM is only part of the whole effort. Long cooks, cooks where I need to sleep or do errands or be in the kitchen doing the rest of the meal, etc. Great tool

A necessity? NO, not if you learn fire control

A convenient and valuable tool/helpful to have on hand? For me, a resounding YES. And I don't regret any money spent. It's been flawless.

Takes me 5-10 minutes to set it up. Wires and all. Heck I just do that in parallel with something else. I have a bag with the Digi II in it with the connections. That get's hooked up while the minion briquettes are lighting
icon_smile.gif
Just becomes part of the motion if you will.

Now the Stoker is a little different. Not bad, just different. The whole wireless networking computer watching and recording thing isn't for me (I do that all day as part of my day job). If that's up your alley have a look at a Stoker.

The cheaper units coming up seem to work just fine too if you don't want all the learning etc, etc. and you can save some money over a Digi or Stoker.

Permanent mount is the way to go IMHO regardless of which unit you use. I have one for my Guru and it's left plugged until I use it.

I don't like tieing up a daisy vent on the WSM when I'm not using the ATC, which is most of the time.

Basically the ATC takes a load off when I have a busy day, complicated (multi-media?) occasion, overnight cook going on. It's literally like setting the temp on your oven when you learn how to use it properly. In fact it's probably maintaining temps in closer range than most consumer home ovens IMHO.

They are helpful. I like being able to hook up my Auber and let it run all day without having to worry about anything. I put a butt on once at 6am, I went to the beach and it ran for 14 hours, I got home and the butt was ready. If my cooks are 6 hours or less, I don't use it, if they are more, more usually means 9-10 hours or more I use it. It's insurance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Story:
ATCs aren't necessary, but they sure are handy. If you enjoy sitting out by your smoker and checking the pit temp to make sure everything is going okay, then you probably don't need one. But if you like to get the smoker going and then tend to other "honey do's" that the wife has given, the ATC is perfect to maintain the pit temp while I'm busy with other things. Or if we leave the house to visit with friends, I can set Stokerlog (while using Stoker) to send emails to my phone with pics of the graph from the cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1
If you like to dote over your cook, or you do short cooks, or you're not bothered by a bit of unpredictability, then an ATC is not worth the expense and extra set-up time (which is really minimal, BTW). If you have a wife or other domestic associate that you need a break from, manual temp control might be sanity-producing. Of course, you can always get one and sit by the smoker the whole time anyway - just don't let on that the ATC is doing all the work. :-)

I like the consistency and predictability that my DigiQ gives me, and the ability to spend time away from the cooker and know that it's not jeopardizing my cook.

I think a couple of benefits of these systems, at least in the case of stoker and its PC connection, is forgotten in these discussions. Namely, the fact that one can learn so much about how the fire and smoke behave and sharing it with others.

Tell me if this picture doesn't make up for a thousand words:

749661303_WYsq5-XL.png

I know I learned a ton the first time I used the system. The plateau for example wasn't a theoretical thing but a tangible one. Better yet, instead of talking about it, a graph can be shared to show what really happens.

The pictures are also instructive in getting help from others.

Truth to be told, the systems do work well without these. The damper for my stoker blower broke and I realized it after cooking started. I noticed the temps shooting way up (>300 degrees) but without the blower running. So I took the blower out and let the thing run while monitoring it on stokerlog. The temperature was rock solid in the thee hours it took me to fix the blower damper. But then I put it back in and went to bed in peace, knowing that the machine was going to keep the fire going reliably.

For me it's everything that Amir stated.

I love using mine, it is nice to have, but if I want to have a good nights sleep on an overnighter I find it a must.

Back