A surprise find in New Zealand

GavinH

TVWBB Member
Hi y’all

I live in Auckland, and its winter here right now so there are only some sporadic outside grilling days between windy and rainy, and nobody seems to be selling bbq's

A couple of weeks back I spotted and purchased something on the local Craigs list equivalent.

My wife: “another guitar?”

Me: “no, outside”

“Another BBQ ?” ….?

Me: “Yes..very clever”

$35 bucks ($50 NZ dollars) and I got a 2001 silver A that no one seemed to want. I thought this only happened stateside !

20210713_165548.jpg

20210713_165634.jpg

It turns out to be a business’s bbq that doesn’t look like it has had much use over the last 20 years, but cleaning didn’t seem to be high on their priority list.

I’ve picked at and scraped off some of the grime, but still have a decent amount of cleaning to get all the crud, but overall it’s a gem.

The enamel lid’s great (but dirty) , minor superficial rust on the trolley, the flavourizers are probably 5/10, and the grill grate not perfect. The body, tray, catch pan and controls are excellent and despite the dirt build up, I am stoked with it and it won’t take too much effort to get it looking great and ready for regular use.

The ignitor was rotted out, so I emailed Weber NZ for a replacement and provided them the serial number. They replied;

“Weber New Zealand chooses to replace the ignitors on all our barbeques free of charge for the life of the barbeque”

They sent me a replacement the next day which slotted in easily. Awesome!

20210713_163721.jpg

20210713_164629.jpg

A quick question. Is there a knack to remove the thermometer ? or after 20 year it might just be worth leaving as is ?

20210713_165536.jpg

Cheers

Back