a little disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou Pederi

TVWBB Member
Okay so I have an older red performer with 5lb tank. The regulator did not work anymore and i had to get one from weber. They sent me one but it had a quick attach valve on the end instead of a screw end that i could put into the 5lb tank. Well CS said that i would have to order a new tank. They did not tell me this when i ordered it. Then i asked if i could just unscrew the quick connect part and screw in the one i had. She said i would need to buy the tank again. Anyway I went to a RV dealer and they said i could do what i said i just had to pick up pipe dope. So i did and it is working great. First time i have used it as a matter of fact. But i was not happy with weber. So with my own mod of the regulator and old adaptor things are fine. This was the first time I have ever been upset with them, i understand their are some liability issues with them saying i could do it but the lady was not very friendly. I just had to voice my opinion so there it is!

I share your pain! I think I may have spoken to the same "not very friendly lady" myself in the past, but I've found Weber CS to be very helpful and pleasant 99% of the times I have called. I had a rustbucket Performer that had the original tank and QR fitting on the tank was not removable. My RED Performer had an upgraded tank with the the fitting that screwed into the valve-and I replaced it with an Acme fitting to screw onto the outside threads. I've found its very helpful to have the schematics page of the grill I'm ordering parts for up to help CS and me make sure we are on the same page.

I ordered a replacement part for my Gaggia MDF coffee grinder and took for granted the parts were compatible for my "vintage"-WRONG! Now I don't mind asking what might be a dumb question in a users group again!

Remember that Weber's goal here is not just to sell you something but to make sure they don't sell you something that could be dangerous to you and a liability to them.

I am guessing the problem with your suggestion is that it would involve altering a manufactured part, which if they sold you the products with the knowledge of what you were wanting to do, could result in liability to Weber under some states manufacturer's extended liability and products liability statutes if you somehow managed to blow something up.

Don't think they they aren't trying to be consumer friendly - the folks I've talked to there always have been friendly, even if they were not in a position to do what I wanted them to do.

At least you were able to get the information from an alternate source and do what you wanted to do.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back