A few pasta sauces with fresh tomatoes

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
A simple fresh tomato sauce (1):

This is a simple pasta sauce made with fresh ripe tomatoes. The tomatoes warm rather than cook.

Get some lightly salted water on to boil to cook 1/2-lb pasta of your choice.

Meanwhile, heat, 3 T evoo in the middle of a wide saute pan (that you have a cover for) over low heat. Mince or press 1-2 cloves of garlic and add it to the oil. Sweat gently for several minutes stirring occasaionally, allowing the garlic to sweeten--do not allow to brown. Put the pasta into the boiling water and set your colander up in the sink.

Make a chiffonade of basil: Stack 6-8 fresh basil leaves one atop the other. Roll the stack up tightly, starting from a long side, so that you end up with a cigar-shaped, thin roll. Using a sharp knife, very thinly slice basil roll--as you would if slicing a fresh chive. Fluff the shreds then separate out about 3/4 of the pile, reserving the other 1/4 pile.

Shallowly core 4-5 medium ripe garden tomatoes. Slice in half crosswise and gently squeeze out the seeds; dice the tomatoes. Add the tomatoes to the garlic in the pan along with 3/4 of the basil chiffonade, a good pinch of salt, and sevral turns of the white peppermill.

When the pasta is done, remove 1/2 c of pasta cooking water and reserve; increase the heat under the tomatoes to med-low; drain the pasta in the colander and add it to the tomato mixture. Toss the pasta with the tomato mix, add half of the reserved cooking water, toss again, then cover and allow the pasta to absorb some flavors from the sauce, about 2 min tops. Remove the cover, taste, adjust salt if necessary. Adjust moistness by adding more or the reserved cooking water. Plate, top with the reserved chiffonade and some fresh grated Parmagiano or Grana Padano.

Simple, ibid. (2):

Shallowly core 4-5 medium ripe garden tomatoes, cut crosswise, gently squeeze out the seeds, dice, then place in a wide shallow bowl. Add a 1/2 c or so of basil chiffonade (or 2 T dried), 2 T of finely chopped marjoram leaves (or 2 t dried), several turns of the black peppermill, 1/2 t sugar, plus 1 T finely minced Vidalia onion. Drizzle with 2 T evoo and 1/3 c balsamic or sherry vinegar. Sprinkle with salt. Toss well then cover and refrigerate 4-6 hours. Remove from the fridge when ready to cook the pasta.

Mince or press 1 clove of garlic.

Cook pasta as noted above, reserving 1/2 c of cooking water when the pasta is done. Drain the pasta then immediately the pot to the stove and add 1 T evoo plus the minced garlic. Cook 30 secs then return the pasta to the pot and reduce the heat to med-low. Immediately add the marinated tomato mix and a few T of the reserved cooking water. Toss the pasta and tomatoes together quickly, add a little salt, then cover and allow to sit over med-low heat about 2-3 min to allow the pasta to absorb flavors and the sauce to warm. Serve, with freshly grated Parm on the side.

A simple marinara:

Note: If you have a food mill you can forgo peeling the tomatoes, opting instead to run the sauce through the medium disc of the mill which will remove the skins.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, shallowly core 6 lbs tomatoes. When the water is boiling, drop 2 or 3 tomatoes into the pot leave them about 30 secs. Remove with a spider or slotted spoon and drain; repeat with the other tomatoes. Slip off the skins, cut crosswise, and gently squeeze to remove the seeds. Dice the tomatoes.

1/2 c evoo

2 med onion, finely minced

1 center rib celery, finely minced

2 med carrots, peeled, finely minced

4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

1 t sugar

freshly ground white pepper

1 T finely minced fresh basil (or 1 t dried)

1.5 t finely minced fresh marjoram (or 1/2 t dried)

3/4 t finely mincedfresh oregano (or 1/4 t dried)

1/2 t ground coriander (optional)

salt

Heat the oil over med-high heat in a large pot. Add the onion, celery and carrot, reduce the heat to med-low, and sweat, covered, 15 min, stirring twice. Increase the heat to med, remove the cover, and cook till the vegs show a little light brwoning, stirring frequently, about 7 min more. Add the garlic, stir, and cook till the garlic is fragrant, about 1 min.

Add the diced tomatoes to the pot along with a pinch of salt, the sugar, and a few turns of the white peppermill. Cover; allow to simmer gently for 15 min or so.

If you didn't peel the tomatoes, pass the sauce through the food mill at this point or, if you did peel the tomatoes but would like a smoother finish, puree the sauce. In either case, return it to the pot.

Add the herbs and the coriander, if using, and return just to a slow simmer over med-low heat. Continue to cook, uncovered, till the sauce reaches the consistency you desire, or for about 15-20 min, stirring often. Adjust salt and pepper. Cool, off heat, stirring frequently, then fridge or freeze.

(Optional: Add 3/4 c dry white wine to the veg mix just after adding the garlic and it becoming fragrant. Increase the heat to med-high and reduce the wine till just a T or two is left in the pot. Continue with the recipe.)

Puttanesca:

4-5 med ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded and diced, as above

6 T evoo

1 med onion, finely chopped

2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

good pinch hot red pepper flakes (or more, if desired)

4 anchovy filets, mashed (or 1 T anchovy paste from a tube)

2 T capers, drained, rinsed, drained again, coarsely chopped (just run a knife over the pile once or twice)

1/2-3/4 c coarsely chopped black olives such as Kalamata or Gaeta--do not mince or chop finely

1/4 c minced fresh parsley (do not use dried)

Heat the oil in a med saute pan over med heat and add the onion. Saute, stirring frequently, till the onion softens and starts to brown in spots, about 15-20 min. Add the garlic and the red pepper flakes, stir, and cook just till the garlic becomes very fragrant but not beginning to brown, about 1-2 min.

Add the tomatoes, capers, olives and a little salt, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently, till the tomatoes break down a bit, about 5-10 min. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the parsley. Toss with pasta as some reserved cooking water, as noted above, allowing a couple or three minutes for the pasta to absorb the sauces flavors. Serve, with freshly grated cheese if desired.

(Optional: Add 1 roasted red bell pepper to the pot, sliced thinly or chopped, along with the tomatoes and other ingredients.)

Originally posted by K Kruger:
A simple marinara:

Note: If you have a food mill you can forgo peeling the tomatoes, opting instead to run the sauce through the medium disc of the mill which will remove the skins.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, shallowly core 6 lbs tomatoes. When the water is boiling, drop 2 or 3 tomatoes into the pot leave them about 30 secs. Remove with a spider or slotted spoon and drain; repeat with the other tomatoes. Slip off the skins, cut crosswise, and gently squeeze to remove the seeds. Dice the tomatoes.

1/2 c evoo
2 med onion, finely minced
1 center rib celery, finely minced
2 med carrots, peeled, finely minced
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 t sugar

freshly ground white pepper

1 T finely minced fresh basil (or 1 t dried)
1.5 t finely minced fresh marjoram (or 1/2 t dried)
3/4 t finely minced fresh oregano (or 1/4 t dried)
1/2 t ground coriander (optional)
salt

Heat the oil over med-high heat in a large pot. Add the onion, celery and carrot, reduce the heat to med-low, and sweat, covered, 15 min, stirring twice. Increase the heat to med, remove the cover, and cook till the vegs show a little light browning, stirring frequently, about 7 min more. Add the garlic, stir, and cook till the garlic is fragrant, about 1 min.

Add the diced tomatoes to the pot along with a pinch of salt, the sugar, and a few turns of the white peppermill. Cover; allow to simmer gently for 15 min or so.

If you didn't peel the tomatoes, pass the sauce through the food mill at this point or, if you did peel the tomatoes but would like a smoother finish, puree the sauce. In either case, return it to the pot.

Add the herbs and the coriander, if using, and return just to a slow simmer over med-low heat. Continue to cook, uncovered, till the sauce reaches the consistency you desire, or for about 15-20 min, stirring often. Adjust salt and pepper. Cool, off heat, stirring frequently, then fridge or freeze.
I have been making a marinara that is very similar to Kevin's with my extra tomatoes. It is excellent fresh or frozen in Foodsaver bags.

A food mill makes this a very easy recipe to prepare.

Jim

Kevin...Thanks a lot...As I sit here with my morning tea, I am wondering what to do with the extra tomatoes about to go bad. Problem solved....tom

I am wondering what to do with the extra tomatoes about to go bad. Problem solved....tom
Tom,

When I have extra tomatoes I core them, then cut a small "X" on the bottom end. I then put them in a large pot of boiling water for about 2 minutes until the skin starts to pull away. I remove them to a colander (while adding more tomatoes to the pot) and let them drain. When cool enough to handle, I peel, and chop into quaters and freeze in plastic bags. They are still good when you use them in the winter months.

Ray

Thanks for starting this thread Kevin. Instead of the carrots, can't I just add a little bit of sugar? I made a marinara sauce a few years back with carrots and I must say, the color was not appeasing, although it tasted good. I felt like I was eating pureed carrots.

Sure you can. Alternatively, you can scale way back on the carrot, which is what I do if they are especially sweet--and certainly could scale back were color the concern.

Kevin, isn't the carrot mainly used for sweetness and possibly adding a little color to the sauce?

Erik

Great topic. I grew up on heavy tomato sauces with some form of meat braised in it...chicken or butt or hot italian sausage....

Just found 101cookbooks from another thread here. Guess what?

Five Minute Tomato Sauce:

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
3 medium cloves garlic. fine chop
1 28 ounce crushed red tomatoes
zest of one lemon

combine: oil, pepper flacks,salt and garlic in a cold saucepan. Stir while heating on med-high heat for 45 sec. or so. Sitr in tomatoes and simmer for a couple of minutes. Stir in the lemon zest, reserve a bit for garnish....
makes 1 qt.

I haven't tried this but for very easy and quick, it got my attention.

Steve, do you know why the recipe requests sea salt (instead of any other salt)? I can understand not using table salt due to the anticaking agent, but pure salt is pure salt, right? Regardless if it's salt (with no additives), kosher salt, large crystals of sea salt, or fine grain sea salt.

Erik

I'm not a salt expert...salt is salt EXCEPT those minerals that vary....even Penseys resisted the fancy salt craze...they now reluctantly sell several salts.

Back