96 Genesis 1000LX Cart Upgrade

Eric Olson

Hey guys long time lurker I've used this site as reference for a few years now even have rcplanebuyer grill grates. Heres the story,I got my father in laws 1996 (I think) genny 1000 lx in 2005. She's been a great grill but time to strip and rebuild for the 3rd time and I think its time for a change. I've wanted a side burner for years and I think now is the time.. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find an answer so figured it was time to join the group and ask you guys.....the experts.
My question is obviously I can't get a brand new genisis 3000 cart I'd have to go through Craigslist and wait but I was wondering if it is possible to use a newer frame on my older cookbox?? I'm not against making her into the bride of Frankenstein (on my third lid ...long story). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Eric, first check your manifold for an outlet for a side burner. It would be easier than splitting the gas before the manifold.

image.jpg
It’s the square head plug in the picture

Hey thanks for the response it has a port but I was contemplating buying a new burner manifold if I can't get it the plug out.

Do you already have the sideburner and just need a frame to put it on? I would hold out for the right donor grill for your project. It shouldn't take too long to find one on FB marketplace, Craigslist, or Offer Up going into spring. I don't think there is another frame you can use without doing some modifications to it.

I was wondering if it is possible to use a newer frame on my older cookbox?? I'm not against making her into the bride of Frankenstein (on my third lid ...long story). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, the best way to is to find a donor frame. And you'll need a bottom rack or z-bars for the wider bottom shelf.

2000 and newer frames will not work without modification to take the larger, deep cook box x000

@Bruce modified a stainless steel frame from a 5 bar cook box to work with a 13 bar deep cook box in this thread:

No burner yet. So I'm pretty much married to the old genisis frames? I was hoping it would fit in a platnum or silver C frame. Guess I'm holding out for now. I'll just do my best with my current frame and keep an eye out on craigslist.

Another thought is don't' add the side burner. The older side burners are OK, but they don't really put out a lot of heat and they are not wind protected. Maybe get a side table and a table top burner that can put out 20K BTUs.

No burner yet. So I'm pretty much married to the old genisis frames? I was hoping it would fit in a platnum or silver C frame. Guess I'm holding out for now. I'll just do my best with my current frame and keep an eye out on craigslist.
a Silver C frame will not work with a 13 bar cookbox. The x000 cookbox is about 3/4s of an inch wider than a Silver B/C Gold B/C cook box and will not drop into the frame.

You can put a side burner on the left side of the grill where the table is. No modification to the frame just some plumbing work

Yeah I was looking at putting it over on the side table but on occasion have had grill fires so running hoses underneath seemed like a bad idea. Plus my Frame is starting to rot probably because I'm lazy and never cover it 😁

Back