7 Bone Rib Roast

Mike Drewery

TVWBB Super Fan
I just ordered a 7 bone rib roast for Christmas dinner. It is not prime but premium at 7.99/lb. I didn't think that was too bad. They said 15 to 17 lbs.

I hope I don't mess it up, I was planning on using my performer and doing some light smoke with cherry.

Sounds great. What time is dinner?
icon_biggrin.gif

I've done a 7 bone twice and both times they turned out awesome. If you use a meat therm, I really don't think you can mess it up.

How fun!

I picked up the roast. It's 19#'s, huge piece of beef. I read on here that I should figure on 20 min / #. That means a 6 hour cook or so, I plan on cooking at about 350 or so and pulling at 125 or so to get medium rare doneness.

Does that sound about right? 6 hours seems long for a cut like this

Over thanksgiving, my dad used the this website:

http://whatscookingamerica.net.../ClassicPrimeRib.htm

with excellent results.

We had a 3 rib prime rib that we seared on the grill then put in the oven for about 90 minutes, it was medium-rare, at best :-)

The website above says 3.25 - 4 hours for a 16 - 18.5 lb prime rib, so you'll need to extrapolate a bit from there. I don't think it would require an extra 2 hours though. But then again, use a thermometer, it'll help.

The cook took me about 4 hours and 15 minutes to a 120 degrees. I then let it set longer than I should have and the roast was a little more well done than I wanted. The taste was fantastic. I will be having the 7 bones tonight for dinner, I plan to toss them on the gasser to get them warm. mmmm

I will post some pics when I get to a better internet connection.

Mike

Back