5-lb Propane Tank for SS Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Walsh

TVWBB Fan
I very recently rescued a blue SS performer that had been left for the first taker on the side of the road. The grill needs some cleaning up and a few replacement parts (cooking grate, tool hangers, one-touch cleaning system), but on the whole, it's in very good shape -- just a few battle scars in the bowl's porcelain finish. As I already have a vintage red SS performer, my plan is to put a few hours and a few bucks into refurbishing the blue performer, and then sell it.

Missing, however, is the 5lb. propane tank that shipped with the grill. I have done some preliminary web searches, and cannot seem to find one of these smaller tanks for anything less than about $50.

Can anyone provide any guidance on where/how I might find a usable 5lb. tank at a more reasonable price? If I have to pay $50, I'm thinking that it might make more sense to just sell the grill w/o the tank, and let the buyer finish the restoration.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-KJW

I bought an adapter at Osh that allows me to use a standard tank with the performer. The adapter, which cost 11 bucks) converts the standard 20lb tank connector into the performer's quick connect. The only problem with this set up is that you can't hang the 20lb tank on the performer so it needs to sit on the ground which effects mobility. But if you already have a big tank it might be the cheapest way to go. And if you don't, you can probably get a 20lb tank on Craigslist for ten dollars or less.

Also, I saw a connector at Walmart that allows you to use the one pound disposable bottles on a regular propane grill. I didn't buy one because I felt the $20 price tag was a bit high. But if you combined the two adapters you could then use the one pound canisters on your performer. The only problem is that the cost of the two adapters with tax is over $30 which gets you pretty close to the cost of a 5lb tank.

Bill

I got the adapter to use the 20lb cylinder on my Coleman-type propane camp stove when I use it here at the house. I ahd the big cylinder for my turkey fryer anyway. I also got the adapter to fill the 16.4 oz cand from the large cylinder. That way I don't have to keep throwing the little cans away. Total cost was about $30 dollars I think. The 16.4 oz cans run around 2/$5+tax around here so I think I'll pay for the adapters soon.
I got the refill adapter mostly because of not wanting to throw the cans in hte alndfill and the fact that it would be cumbersome to move the Performer with the 20lber attached.

I bought a used Performer with the new style 1 lb. tank igniter but it came with a full 5 lb. tank. Id be willing to sell it to you but the shipping might be an issue. I was looking for a Blue Performer when I got mine which is green. Any interest in selling yours as is? Again shipping might be an issue

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ivan Stratton:
I bought a used Performer with the new style 1 lb. tank igniter but it came with a full 5 lb. tank. Id be willing to sell it to you but the shipping might be an issue. I was looking for a Blue Performer when I got mine which is green. Any interest in selling yours as is? Again shipping might be an issue </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ivan, I apologize for the delay in responding. If your 5-lb tank is full, I doubt that it can be shipped at all. As for selling my blue Performer, that is my intent. However, I am not prepared to disassemble and package the thing (not worth the effort), and am sure that shipping a fully assembled Performer would be cost-prohibitive. Thus, the sale will have to be be pick-up only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back