3 firsts with the Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark B

TVWBB Pro
Had my Performer for a bit and finally had a chance to do my first indirect cook on it. What a treat.

Was doing a 5.8 lb boneless rib end pork loin (Marinated w/Italian dressing, lime and lemon juice, black pepper, dried rosemary) roasted indirect, with maple chunks as the smoke wood. Finished it with an orange glaze (Orange marmalade, orange juice, grainy Dijon, splash of Cointreau).

First attempt at a minion method - using the 2 char baskets. It wasn't perfect but I still got amazing results - even though one side basically went out on me. Not a problem though - got 'em going again. Used Kingsford briquettes for the first time in a year or so.

Really happy with the burn time while learning how to manage the air. I marked off full open and 50% so I have a reference with the bottom vents.

First time making ABT's - using the guideline from one of Larry Wolfe's posts (Larry - muchas gracias). Had to improvise a bit but they turned out really good. Even my wife liked them. Took the cream cheese and blended with some green onion, rub, smoked paprika, and a dose of bbq beef. Took the best jalapenos I could find, stuffed 'em and wrapped with thin bacon. Just great. This recipe goes into the standard arsenal right beside Roadside Chicken.

Great way to spend part of a day in the summer.

Hi there Mark,

Congrats on buying a Performer, they are an awesome grill, that's for sure!!
Just a suggestion for next time you might want to do a Minion Method cook and this is what i do.
I don't use the metal charcoal baskets, i basically dump a full chimney load of UNLIT briquettes on one small area on one side of the kettle usually opposite side from the worktable.
you may need 2 firebricks or pavers next to the area where the charcoal will go.
Place 2 chunks of smoking wood ontop of unlit charcoal briquettes.
The bricks/pavers act as a heat sink and keep the heat rising up from one area instead of outwards.The 2 bricks will be placed end on end right accross the charcoal grate guarding the fire area from the non fire area. Doesn't matter if the bricks don't fit properly, just use them so the middle area is overlapping in a zigzag fashion.
place an empty foil pan on empty side of charcoal grate (this is to collect the juices)

Prepare about 20-25 briquettes fully LIT in the chimney and dump ontop of UNLIT briquettes.

Now it's time to place the food grate on the kettle.
Place a small to medium foil tray of cold water overtop where the fire is and then place your food overtop of empty tray that's on charcoal grate,opposite fire.
wait till the temp guage gets up around the 190-200F mark then start closing your bottom vents to a quarter open,this should prevent the kettle from going past 250F but hopefully you can stop it from going much past 220-230F
Keep top vent open completely.
This method should give you a cooking time range without replacing coals for about 7-8 hours if you keep it below 250F.
I would advise to buy one of those remote internal meat temp guages that will tell you how hot it is inside the meat and it'll signal you 3 degrees before the preferred final temp setting, that way, you won't be having to continously open the lid and letting the heat out.
I hope i have put into words the way i needed to explain this set-up, if not, let me know please.
ENJOY
icon_smile.gif

Davo

Thanks for the comments Davo. I've looked for firebricks to use on another bbq project and can only find them at one fireplace shop so far at about $4 each. I needed 10 at the time so I put that off.

I'll end up using the bricks with the Performer before long. On yesterday's cook I used 14 unlit per side with 7 lit on top.

I did use a remote therm as usual - set for 150, that's when I began a few coats of glaze. The roast turned out great.

Will give your method a go on another cook. Thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davo:
Hi there Mark,

Congrats on buying a Performer, they are an awesome grill, that's for sure!!
Just a suggestion for next time you might want to do a Minion Method cook and this is what i do.
I don't use the metal charcoal baskets, i basically dump a full chimney load of UNLIT briquettes on one small area on one side of the kettle usually opposite side from the worktable.
you may need 2 firebricks or pavers next to the area where the charcoal will go.
Place 2 chunks of smoking wood ontop of unlit charcoal briquettes.
The bricks/pavers act as a heat sink and keep the heat rising up from one area instead of outwards.The 2 bricks will be placed end on end right accross the charcoal grate guarding the fire area from the non fire area. Doesn't matter if the bricks don't fit properly, just use them so the middle area is overlapping in a zigzag fashion.
place an empty foil pan on empty side of charcoal grate (this is to collect the juices)

Prepare about 20-25 briquettes fully LIT in the chimney and dump ontop of UNLIT briquettes.

Now it's time to place the food grate on the kettle.
Place a small to medium foil tray of cold water overtop where the fire is and then place your food overtop of empty tray that's on charcoal grate,opposite fire.
wait till the temp guage gets up around the 190-200F mark then start closing your bottom vents to a quarter open,this should prevent the kettle from going past 250F but hopefully you can stop it from going much past 220-230F
Keep top vent open completely.
This method should give you a cooking time range without replacing coals for about 7-8 hours if you keep it below 250F.
I would advise to buy one of those remote internal meat temp guages that will tell you how hot it is inside the meat and it'll signal you 3 degrees before the preferred final temp setting, that way, you won't be having to continously open the lid and letting the heat out.
I hope i have put into words the way i needed to explain this set-up, if not, let me know please.
ENJOY
icon_smile.gif

Davo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly the method I have found to be the easist to manage a low/slow cook on this kettle.

The amount of fire I use to bring up the temp using Minion, is relative to the amount of coal I use dependant on what I'm cooking.
It could range from 12 coals to 25 coals.

I'll usually ramp the charcoal on the kettle opposite of the cooking area, and mix in chips/chunks into the unlit coal.

Like Davo mentions, I'll also use firebricks, which I'll use to try to isolate the coal in its area to give me not only the redirection required, but also maximum cooking area.

Now... if you want to cook from 275-325 where the kettle is quite happy to operate... you don't need water

If you want to control the heat and keep it within 225-250 dome temp, you'll need to put a water pan over the coals.

I like to use a good sized water pan, covering as much of the coals as I can. This allows for more redirection as well as requiring less refilling.

Only problem is... I've only been using foil pans, which have turned black after a number of hours. I'm thinking of finding a nice cast iron pan to use (maybe part of a dutch oven)

So far... this has provided very very low maintenance cooking. Probably adjusting the vents every 45 mins as the coal burns.

Probably @ the 4hr mark, and if the temp lowers (or gets higher) I'll open the lid to add water or coal dependant on whats required.

Its basically the same concept as the smokenator, but I feel with even less maintenance.

& davo's method is absolutely right on, on how to bring up the kettle to temp.

Also, if you are noticing that the seal is not the greatest, well it'll get better as more grease forms. However I've heard you can use binding clips to also help seal it up.

Its no WSM, but its definately good enough.

In all actuality, I've found a number of things just fine at the med-low heat the kettle likes without a water pan.

Brisket, just doesn't need to be that slow & low

Thanks Paul for your input, I guess it's trying for a happy medium when it comes to how many lit coals to start with, your seasonal temps over in America are much more extreme than what it is here in Australia, for example, here it is in August, last month of Winter and i''ve been outside most of the day cooking on the WSM wearing only t-shirt and shorts and sandles and it's a lovely 25C day whereas Northern hemisphere winters are generally freezing your nuts off. The you would need probably a full chimney of lit to start.
As for the water over the fire, again, depends on the ambient temp you're working with and how much heat sink you'll need...lots of water in the summer and a small tray during the cooler months.
The Bottom venting is also affected by the weather, in winter, the air is dense so it's good quality air but takes more heating therefore your coals will be burning faster than they would during summer with less dense air.
Unless you're cooking for a whole bunch of people or wanting to have some good cooked meats during the week, the WSM uses a lot of charcoal for just a few items so you really need to use one when you want to fill it right up whereas the kettle,uses little charcoal for the food cooked and gets up to heat rather quickly and is usually good to slow smoke on for a family of around 4 people.
I want to try briskets but they are too small here in Australia and are generally corned before putting on display.

Cheers

Davo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davo:
Thanks Paul for your input, I guess it's trying for a happy medium when it comes to how many lit coals to start with, your seasonal temps over in America are much more extreme than what it is here in Australia, for example, here it is in August, last month of Winter and i''ve been outside most of the day cooking on the WSM wearing only t-shirt and shorts and sandles and it's a lovely 25C day whereas Northern hemisphere winters are generally freezing your nuts off. The you would need probably a full chimney of lit to start.
As for the water over the fire, again, depends on the ambient temp you're working with and how much heat sink you'll need...lots of water in the summer and a small tray during the cooler months.
The Bottom venting is also affected by the weather, in winter, the air is dense so it's good quality air but takes more heating therefore your coals will be burning faster than they would during summer with less dense air.
Unless you're cooking for a whole bunch of people or wanting to have some good cooked meats during the week, the WSM uses a lot of charcoal for just a few items so you really need to use one when you want to fill it right up whereas the kettle,uses little charcoal for the food cooked and gets up to heat rather quickly and is usually good to slow smoke on for a family of around 4 people.
I want to try briskets but they are too small here in Australia and are generally corned before putting on display.

Cheers

Davo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Living in Canada, I must admit, its not easy finding brisket neither. Its chore and sometimes I'm paying top dollar at $4 a lb for a piece of meat that should be the same price as flank steaks.

Also weather changes all the time and the amount of water/charcoal required to get a cook done can depend on numerous factors. Eventually everyone will get it down.

Personally, I'm thiking of getting a smoker and though this is a WSM forum, for our blisteringly cold winters... the Big Green Egg may be the best solution

i don't have any firebricks, so I use sheet metal...made an L shape with them and slid them between the grates---hold the coals perfect and they protect the food from direct heat

i use the MM as well, and I get 6 hours from a full chimney without a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back