22 in. Portable

DaleO

TVWBB Member
I carry a small pellet smoker and a Jumbo Joe in the RV. I can do most anything with these, although somewhat limited for large gatherings. My pellet grill is on its last legs so I started shopping for a replacement. It occurred to me that standard 22 in. kettle could do everything I need, but as purchased, not practical for hauling in the camper. Any ideas on turning the 22 in. into an easily transportable grill, shorter legs, folding table, etc? I think the original Vs. the one touch would be a must.

Here is a link to one I did. Scroll down though the first post was a trial run...
https://tvwbb.com/threads/super-jumbo.54451/

Basically I purchased a smoker conversion leg kit from Cajun Bandit (not on their website anymore so email them) The leg kit is designed for this so even though I used Silver you should be fine using a kettle with an ash catcher.

I also purchased a Weber slide-a-side lid holder and recently a BBQ dragon side table. Both fit inside for storage.

I built mine for RVing. Worked great. Little heavy and you have to carry by the legs but the added real estate is real nice. Indirect is easier than on a jumbo. Good luck.

Thanks, looks good. I was wondering about the weight, but certainly a lot lighter than my Green Mountain Pellet grill.

Thanks, looks good. I was wondering about the weight, but certainly a lot lighter than my Green Mountain Pellet grill.
Yeah it is a little heavy, but not too ackwark carrying by the legs. I never fully investigated using the 26” lid bale as a flip up lid holder/carrier. Seems like it would work, but I am not that skilled.

keeps your eyes out on CL for a cheap 22”
Kettle.

If you go this route here’s Cajun Bandit email. Again legs are not listed on their website for separate purchase but I was able to purchase when asked via email. contact@cajunbandit.com

Last edited:
A guy over at Weber Kettle Club made a "midget" kettle using an 18" kettle. I suppose you could use same idea on a 22" kettle.

The cooking surface of 18in is same as Jumbo Joe?
A current-model Jumbo Joe, yes. The original JJ that also went by Smokey Joe Platinum took a different size grate.

I also have the 19 in. WSM. I purchased for competitions, which I’ve not done in a while. Perhaps my better choice is to figure out how to pack that in the RV, use as both a grill and smoker. With two level grates would have more area than a 22 in?

I saw this on a FB group earlier this month. Pretty sure those are just WSM legs.

1616514215000.png

I love the idea but would seriously need to figure out a way to make it portable with the lid handle. I'm thinking maybe a lid hinge on one side with a clamp of some sort on the other, or just some clamps all the way around would do it.

I saw this on a FB group earlier this month. Pretty sure those are just WSM legs.

View attachment 24765

I love the idea but would seriously need to figure out a way to make it portable with the lid handle. I'm thinking maybe a lid hinge on one side with a clamp of some sort on the other, or just some clamps all the way around would do it.
Several years ago Cajun Bandit sold legs similar to the WSM as part of a conversion kit. Even though they discontinued the legs, I emailed them & was able to purchase two sets. I have been slowly working on an outdoor kitchen where I will have two 22" kettles with these legs on them. Here are a couple of pics with the legs on the kettle.

Attachments

• New Lid Bail.JPG
    New Lid Bail.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Red LE.JPG
    Red LE.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 22
Several years ago Cajun Bandit sold legs similar to the WSM as part of a conversion kit. Even though they discontinued the legs, I emailed them & was able to purchase two sets. I have been slowly working on an outdoor kitchen where I will have two 22" kettles with these legs on them. Here are a couple of pics with the legs on the kettle.
These Jumbo Joe’s look way too shiny, you need to cook more ....LOL

Back