2 recipes for Vyritos- a Lithuanian Grog

Michael K

I'm 1/4 Lithuanian and have been drinking the hot version for as long as I can remember, always at the holidays(always Christmas) or special occasions. The cold version we got from the little old ladies at Lithuanian Hall in Baltimore. My Aunt Lorraine spent over 20 years trying to pry the recipe and finally succeeded and we've been making it ever since. It's the same recipe they sell at the Lithuanian Festival and at many area Baltimore restuarants and bars (although the ladies sell the vyritos sans alcohol. The bars add it later). I hope you enjoy! SVAKES!

Vyritos-Hot

8oz Honey (my dad liked 10 -12oz it all depends how sweet you want it)
12 oz Water
3 TB of Caraway seeds
2 Med Lemons (decent size) cut in half
750 ml of Bourbon - whatever is on sale like High Ten or Kentucky Gentleman (do not use a blended- in fact my grandfather would use whatever was the cheapest including rye)

Bring water and caraway to a rolling boil and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add honey and lemons(squeeze juice first and throw them in, don’t worry about seeds). Bring to a soft boil and cook for 3 min. Add bourbon. Turn the heat up and stir constantly. A light foam will start to form on the top. As soon as you see the first bubble turn it off. Strain; make sure you get all the juice out of the lemons). I put mine in a glass decanter that sits on a base with a candle in it to keep it warm. I serve in small round glasses (Grandmom Adele). Smaller servings help keep the vyritos warm.

Notes: watch pot very carefully after you add the bourbon. It will expand and overflow if you're not careful and start a fire. I’ve seen my uncle and my father do several times ;-)
-----------------------------------------------

Vyritos -Cold

This recipe is perfect for making multiple batches at a time. We usually make 5 batches when we make it. It makes a great gift at the holidays, but be careful, people will bring back their bottles for a refill ;-).

The day before peel 1 orange and 1 lemon (med to lg). Put peels aside to dry.

3 ½ C bottled water (original called for boiled)
2/3 piece of nutmeg cut into 2 pieces
25 whole cloves
4 cinnamon sticks
3 T caraway seed
1T vanilla
3C sugar
16oz honey
2 pints of Appletons or Bacardi 151 rum. ( the original recipe called for grain alcohol but I have found the rum adds depth and compliments the other flavors and still provides the kick ;-)

Dried peel of the lemon and orange (tip: Peel in a circular motion all the way down making the peels as long as possible as you will have to remove before letting it set)

Cook 1C of the bottled water, the spices, vanilla, sugar and the honey in a large pot for 45 minutes.
Cook in a large pot ( dutch oven) as the mixture will rise as it cooks.
Start on high until it boils- watch very carefully as it begins to boil as the mixture will rise.
Turn down to the low and continue to cook.
Once it settles down it is not necessary to watch as closely.
After 45 minutes of cooking add fruit peel and cook for 15 minutes.

Remove from heat. Remove all the peel.

Add rest of bottled water and alcohol. Mix with spoon and pour into a container to set. We use a 5 gallon glass container used for making homemade beer.
Let set 1 week. We usually swirl it around several time during the week.

Strain thru cheese cloth several times. ( we just double up the cloth and do it once) Pour into bottles or decanters. Don’t worry if there’s some sediments at the bottom when it settles; a couple of swirls and the world is right. Svakes!

I'm glad you posted this. I had it once before in San Francisco but never knew the name. Good stuff.

Sounds pretty similar to Polish "Krupnik" (fire vodka).

1-1/2 cup honey
2/3 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
2 sticks cinnamon (some recipes call for 8!)
2 whole cloves
3 strips lemon peel
1 bottle vodka

Put everything except the vodka into a pot and bring it to a boil, then simmer it for 5 minutes. Take it off the heat and pour in the fifth of vodka. Serve warm (or cold)!

We make it every Easter and Christmas, usually from a glass decanter into dainty little liqueur glasses.

Na zdrowie!

Back