18.5 WSM or 26.75 Kettle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
Which is more useful? I currently have an 18.5 OTG and a Genesis, but would like a larger grill for bigger cooks. Seeing that they're the same price, I'm wondering which is the better choice. I'm sure there's somebody out there with both that can comment. Thanks!

I guess it depends on what you cook, how much you cook it and how you like to cook it. I would buy a 26er and if you feel the need keep an eye open for a used WSM. They come up every now and then.

agreed. you need to know what you want and expect first. maybe get a 22" from craigs list cheap and see how that goes. not enough ? then go to a 26".

The more I think about it two 22" One Touch Golds are the sweet spot. You can smoke and grill and the same time, and grill for a lot of people if needed...

And both of my 22" grills costs me $10 for the total (one was given to me, and the other I got off of CL for $10).

If you add a 22" OTG, you will be able to do what you need unless you need to smoke more than 4 racks of ribs or more than 20 lbs of butts, etc...

Jay

If you are wanting to grill, I'd say the 27. If you are wanting to smoke, I'd say the WSM.

Personally, I've got a Performer and find it's almost the perfect Grill. I can easily fit a full packer, two butts, or 4 racks of baby backs on it so I end up using it for about 90 percent of my cooks. Whenever I need more space, I throw on the Cajun Bandit which makes it the same size as a 22.5 WSM. This set up is ideal for my needs and I would do it again in a second if I needed to start over. The only difference is that I would probably get the Performer off Craigslist which could even make this cheaper than either of the other two options would be new.

I bought a 26.75" kettle last summer and have been very happy with it. It's has a lot of real estate and is very versatile - I've used it to grill and to smoke. As far as grilling goes, it can hold a lot of food and can do high heat cooks. Smoking is relatively easy too, but it can be a pain to add fuel every so often. That said, I've smoked on it more than I have grilled, so I recently bought an 18" WSM, which I assembled last weekend. I haven't smoked on it yet, but I look forward to being able to smoke on more of a set and forget basis and being able to smoke more/different types of food at the same time.

To address your question, would you like to smoke or grill? The 26.75" can do both, but really excels at grilling. Having not used the WSM yet, I imagine the converse is true.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
If you are wanting to grill, I'd say the 27. If you are wanting to smoke, I'd say the WSM.

Personally, I've got a Performer and find it's almost the perfect Grill. I can easily fit a full packer, two butts, or 4 racks of baby backs on it so I end up using it for about 90 percent of my cooks. Whenever I need more space, I throw on the Cajun Bandit which makes it the same size as a 22.5 WSM. This set up is ideal for my needs and I would do it again in a second if I needed to start over. The only difference is that I would probably get the Performer off Craigslist which could even make this cheaper than either of the other two options would be new. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2nd the 22 with the Cajun Bandit, it's a nice combo... although I don't have one. If I had to do it all over again. I'd have a (1) 22 w/CB, (2) Tamale Pot/SJ, and (3) Ranch Kettle. Have 2 and 3. maybe I should sell my 18 and buy an CB.

John

Well i would love to have a 27" kettle. But i dont wanna live without my wsm.

If i were you i would get the wsm,and you still have the 19" otg to grill on.

Sure i grill more then i smoke,but my 22" kettle is more then enough for anything i grill.

Lets say im having a big party thats more then my 22" kettle can chew,then i smoke some ribs/PP/Chicken on the wsm. And the temp is easyer to maintain on the wsm(to me atleased)

And if im smoking for a party..Well then the kettle can rest(for once)

My 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back