Pizza stone or not

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi does anyone have any experience using a pizza stone in a weber silver B? Are they worth getting and what kind is the better kind to get ? Presently I have a very large Lodge cast-iron pan that I form the pizza in and add the cheese and stuff I would like to be able to heat it up before hand to a high heat and slip the pizza into it but because of the edges it’s hard to get anything in without stuff falling everywhere that’s why I thought some kind of stone would be better Appreciate any thoughts and input thanks George

George, I read once of a person flipping a large CI pan upside down and using it for pizza. I have not tried it. I would think the high temps I cook pizza at would not be good for the seasoning. I just use an $8 pizza stone from Wal-Mart.

That's a thought, flipping the cast iron. Had a heck of a time trying to get it round today just kept elongating on me..Today will try to get it into the pan that will be preheated to high and pray it works out. I got a bad feeling about it..As soon as you start the back and forth motion to get it off the peel, dark cheese goes everywhere.....

- - - Updated - - -

"darn cheese"

I bought a 5 piece Dough-Boy stone set for the house oven some years back. When I started grilling pizza and other breads I gave them double duty. Usually I use 3 or 4 of them. I am considering a round one for the kettle but I'm in no hurry. I do find the 12" CI skillet makes great deep dish. I've experimented with not using a pan or stone, it works to but you have to work really fast.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00GH0R7TY/tvwb-20

I use a pizza stone and I think it's worth it. I use pizza screens for my pizzas and then cook it on the stone. I also use the stone to moderate the heat when baking/roasting stuff on the grill. For instance, I'm roasting kale in a metal pan on top of the stone in my Weber Genesis tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

I use a pizza stone and I think it's worth it. I use pizza screens for my pizzas and then cook it on the stone. I also use the stone to moderate the heat when baking/roasting stuff on the grill. For instance, I'm roasting kale in a metal pan on top of the stone in my Weber Genesis tonight.

Ditto. Repeat the message.

The problem lies in getting the raw pizza off of the peel smoothly onto the stone or cast iron I do have a 15” CI. 13” bottom but I can only shape the dough inside the pan and then stick in grill not slide pizza onto already hot pan

The problem lies in getting the raw pizza off of the peel smoothly onto the stone or cast iron I do have a 15” CI. 13” bottom but I can only shape the dough inside the pan and then stick in grill not slide pizza onto already hot pan

A light dusting of corn meal on the pizza peel will allow it to slide fine.

Back