Problems with One touch system and igniter

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Are these one touch cleaning systems problematic on newer gen grills? My 2016 performer reached the point where I couldn’t move the lever despite being thoroughly cleaned and lubed. My 2 platnium one touch grills were 15 years old and the one touch still worked great. I called Weber and they were terrific, sent me a new one touch cleaning system so I am happy but for a super clean 2 year old performer, it’s hard for me t9 believe the system became so tight that it eventually seized up

Also, is the igniter on the performer serviceable by replacing the battery? It isn’t lighting very well due to the spark not working all the time when I push 5he button, wondering if it is battery related but don’t see where 9me can be changed.

One touch systems can get rusted. To prevent issues, I normally take mine apart to clean at least once a year or when in starts to feel out of sorts. As to the igniter it should be obvious if it has a battery. Make sure the little wire is close enough and that the gas holes are open next to the wire.

One touch systems can get rusted. To prevent issues, I normally take mine apart to clean at least once a year or when in starts to feel out of sorts. As to the igniter it should be obvious if it has a battery. Make sure the little wire is close enough and that the gas holes are open next to the wire.

I guess the one touch is not made like it used to be if you either need to disassemble not less than once a year to keep it working bc I never replaced or cleaned any of the systems on multiple old and well used grills.

I don’t see a better compartment on the performer. My genesis has a similar igniter and I can see where the battery goes so this one must be a sealed system, I guess...

Not sure if the Performer uses an igniter similar to the 2007-2014 Genesis, but I found the AAA battery connection in the bottom of the push button assembly would oxidize just enough to prevent good contact. A old fashioned pencil with an eraser tip works when you put it down the battery hole and spin the pencil. Positive contact on the battery cleans much easier on anything. I actually broke one push button assembly by pushing down too hard before finding the real problem. We are in a dry climate, so I imagine this would be even more of an issue where higher humidity levels are prevalent.

I have been working on my One Touch system for more than an hour today. Initially, I couldn't move it at all. After a significant amount of WD40 (applied to the part under the kettle) I was able to move it a little bit back and forth. It was very rusty. Even though I can now move the blades completely left/right, I can still not pull the pin out from the lower part to clean everything properly. I am afraid I will have to take out my Dremel at one point in the next few weeks and install a replacement kit.

Back