Company I wish Weber stayed like (a knife company called Spyderco)

Garth C

TVWBB Super Fan
A recent post about sharpening knives on this forum got me thinking about a company that reminded me of Weber of old when they were family owned. And maybe also what they could of been while moving towards a global operation.

Spyderco knife brand is an American family owned business that produces a premium product priced as such. Many of the reasons people love their knives applies to the people here who love Weber products.

Many of the gripes about weber's direction as a company focusus on decrease in quality and overseas manufacturing. Spyderco proves that globalization doesn't have to mean decrease in quality or that they are selling out.

Outside of the USA they manufactur many knife models in Taiwan, Japan, Italy and of course China. The Taiwan models' quality, materials, reliability and fit and finish rival and many diehard Spyderco collectors say they surpass their made in the USA counterparts.

Their China made knives use cheaper materials and the savings are passed along to customer in the form of about 60% cheaper pricing. Even so they are still very well built knives.

I think many Weber bbq fans would admire their products for the craftsmanship and their company for their integrity. Checkout their forum. This thread is over 500 pages deep and showcases users carrying their products every day.

https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60127&start=11680

I'm more of a Buck man myself (I have almost a dozen Buck folders that I switch between depending on my daily mood for my EDC knife), but would like to own a Spyderco knife. I just haven't been able to convince my wife that I need one. I have problems enough convincing her to let me get a cheaper Buck knife.

Knives I truly care about are my kitchen knives. Outdoor knives MEH not so much. Rarely use them other than filet knives (but I count them as kitchen tools anyway). I guess since I don't hunt, or camp (well I do camp it's called opening the bedroom window) LOL, but honestly camping and hunting don't really thrill me. I don't relish killing a large animal (not because I am a bleeding heart) I just don't like game meat, and I relish a nice cup of coffee in the AM and a nice place to "write a letter" afterward (hate camp toilets LOL). I know...............I'm old and "soft" :D

Mr. Michaels, while I like camping, 10 years ago I started carrying a knives in my pocket every day doing boring city stuff. Not a heavy oudooraman either, but like BBQs you start with 1, then you justify a 2nd for different use case, then another, then another, and another, and like many people here you end up with a collection.

Wouldn't if be cool if Weber made China kettles but only sold at wall Mart or Target for cheaper, while a made in the USA was their premium model sold at Ace/Tru value stores? I'm just saying they could of served both market segments as part of a global strategy. Maybe even made a kamodo built in Japan or something cool like that.

When Spyderco makes something special edition it's truly sought after and special. I remember the dissapoinment with the recently released special red kettle.

I just counted my spyderco knife purchases in my emails dating back to 2010:

7 Tenacious G-10s
1 Delica (I've probably had at least 3-4 various delicas)

and 1 byrd cara cara, but I don't think I can count that - looked like a knockoff to me, thought I bought it by mistake and haven't used it yet.

I bet I got my first sometime around 1996-1998 (judging by friends & where I was living).

I also like to carry OTFs, people sometimes call them my gangster knife.

I started with one of their China made Spiderco Ambitious but after a few years graduated to their USA and Taiwan offerings. i have around 10 now. Prior to buying a good knife sharpener I'd buy one, use until it was dull and then buy another. Now that I have gotten into knife sharpening i have over 10 to choose from every morning, all hair shaving sharp. OTF knives are illegal in California.

You got me beat on repeat buys. I do have 4 Manix models. Each one with either a different steel material, blade finish, scale material and slightly differentiating design (the two with textured handles are about half the weight). I sent my carbon fiber model in for warranty just last week. Its like that guy who buys a Weber kettle in every color.

izABF42.jpg

Last edited:
I used to collect knives but most have gone to my son. As for me, I use the heck out of cheap $5 knives from walmart that hold up just fine. They are just a tool doing their job. As to weber, they are the pits. Company, not the old grills.

Why would Weber make a cheaper line of kettles. There are already plenty of cheap charcoal grills available.

Why would Weber make a cheaper line of kettles. There are already plenty of cheap charcoal grills available.

Weber set the gold standard of quality+value in the 80s and 90s. It's the reason there are so many enthusiasts of the brand.

People who buy based on brand reputation may not notice any slight decrease in quality. So they can still get their high volume sales margins. They probably in future will still push to see how low they can go without hurting sales.

That doesn't sit well with many people on this board. Why not offer something catering to both markets?

Mr. Michaels, while I like camping, 10 years ago I started carrying a knives in my pocket every day doing boring city stuff. Not a heavy oudooraman either, but like BBQs you start with 1, then you justify a 2nd for different use case, then another, then another, and another, and like many people here you end up with a collection.
That's me too. I always have a knife in my pocket. If I'm on a bike ride I'll leave my money, wallet, and keys at home, but I always take my knife. My first more expensive knife was a Benchmade and I've largely stuck with that brand. I love the assisted opening knives. I do have one Spyderco that's on my key ring. It's about a half inch long. It's handy for opening packages.

Back