Heatermeter 4.3 rpi 3b connectivity and probe issues

Tony Be

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to heatermeter and I'm trying to get my board up and running for the first time, but having issues with connectivity. I'm looking for some quick tips to help me with troubleshooting. Here are the details:

HM 4.3
Raspberry Pi 3B

Symptoms:
-Heatermeter.com/devices is not finding my device, even after correcting the wifi info in the config.txt file
-I do not see the IP address that is now displaying on the HM anywhere in my network when logging in to my router or when plugging the IP address into my browser.
-Secondary to connectivity, my probes are displaying a temperature that is 30 degrees off.

Steps taken:
-Loaded the SD card according to the instructions, including editing the wifi info in config.txt. This is where I made a mistake, there was a typo in my network address field, which I've now fixed and resaved into the SD card.
-Plugged SD into Pi and booted successfully
-Menu/Buttons seem to work
-The probe I bought for this did not connect at all, so I used an old maverick probe (6 years old) and an old meat probe (not sure brand) and they both started reading temps to the LCD, but reading 47 degrees in a 77 degree room.
-I hardwired the pi with no changes to connectivity
-I reset the config on the HM in the LCD menu
-After doing this, I started to notice that an IP address displayed on the LCD shortly after startup now, reading 192.168.201.1. I still am not able to see the device on the heatermeter.com/devices page, and I'm not able to see that IP address referenced anywhere when I log into both my router and network extender to monitor connected devices
-I disabled windows firewall on private networks and still no changes

I'm wondering if this all has to do with me messing up the config file when I first booted the HM. If anyone has any suggestions of where to look first, that would be great.

When you reset the Config, the 192.168.201.1 you're seeing is the HeaterMeter in AP mode. You can connect to the HeaterMeter access point with a smartphone and go to http://192.168.201.1 and configure the wifi from the webui LinkMeter -> Wifi. The probe reading a different temperature is because not all probes are the same, so you need to select the proper type of probe from the webui as well to have it read the right value.

You can also configure the wifi as a client by editing the file again like you did before. Does your wifi network name or password have any special characters in it? If so you may need to enclose it in quotes (single or double) to make it work properly.

When you reset the Config, the 192.168.201.1 you're seeing is the HeaterMeter in AP mode. You can connect to the HeaterMeter access point with a smartphone and go to http://192.168.201.1 and configure the wifi from the webui LinkMeter -> Wifi. The probe reading a different temperature is because not all probes are the same, so you need to select the proper type of probe from the webui as well to have it read the right value.

You can also configure the wifi as a client by editing the file again like you did before. Does your wifi network name or password have any special characters in it? If so you may need to enclose it in quotes (single or double) to make it work properly.

Thanks Bryan, will try that shortly. My wifi network name does have a "-" in the name, would that be a special character?

Thanks Bryan, will try that shortly. My wifi network name does have a "-" in the name, would that be a special character?

Yep, looks like I'm online and it updated the probe temp to something more reasonable that I can configure with the offset. Thanks!

Great! Yeah the process to pull the wifi info from the text file and get it into the wifi configuration can be a bit finicky, which is why the suggested way is to use a preconfigured image which handles the quoting for you.

The offset field really should not be used to fix a probe that's not reading right, and it is going to be hidden away in future releases. If the probe is off by more than 1-2 degrees at room temp, it is likely due to the wrong coefficients being used for the probe. At room temperature it might be close so you think I'll just nudge it up 10 degrees, but then at 225F it is off by like 25 degrees because the curves are different and you can't account for that by shifting the whole range up or down. Of course, it could also be close enough along the range that it doesn't practically make a difference once you add the offset, but it is better verify this with a boiling water check.

Back